Building Control Officer
Building Control contract Barnet Enfield £30-£33 per hour Ltd
This role is based within Regional Enterprise (Re) in Barnet, North London. This role requires you to be able to provide a range of professional and technical skills. To discharge the Council's delegated powers and duties as required under the Building Regulations, Building Act and associated legislation. Assist in the provision of service for the diverse range of activities.
This role will be based in Barnet. Travelling may be required to other Capita offices on occasions
Role and Responsibilities
- Ensure that all works controlled under the Building Regulations and associated legislation are undertaken in such a manner as to comply with substantive provisions
- Provide professional advice and guidance to all users of the service and recommend innovative and practical solutions to complex building regulation queries
- Ensure unauthorised work is brought into compliance and lead on any necessary enforcement action under the Building Regulations and Building Act
- Prime responsibility for taking decisions on all aspects of Dangerous Structures and responding within 2-hour target time. Participation in the Dangerous Structures Out of Hours Call Out Rota
- Contribute to the marketing and promotion of the Building Control Service so as to minimise the loss of work to Approved Inspectors in the private sector
- Ensure the delivery of Building Control services to time scales and level of quality set by legislation, industry performance guidelines and internal targets
- Assist in reviewing, recommending and implementing changes to office procedures to optimise working practices
- Represent Re as expert witness at enforcement hearings in the Magistrates' and Crown Courts as and when required
- Assist the Area Manager in checking reports, recommendations and decisions on Building Regulation matters that are delegated from the Head of Building Control and Structure
- Use of technical equipment as provided by Re for testing/recording materials, and where necessary liaison with external bodies for testing. Record results, take appropriate action and be responsible for equipment carried
- Previous successful experience in a building control section of a local authority or similar organisation processing complex building regulation applications; enforcing and remedying breaches.
- Competent user of IT, its application and potential application within a local government environment e.g. Uniform and Microsoft Office, specifically Word, Excel, Outlook.
- Good knowledge of current building control legislation, guidance and issues relevant to the post specifically and the service generally
- An understanding of London or metropolitan/regional and local government building control and associated issues, policy trends and legal processes.
- Knowledge of the legislative requirements in relation to proposed demolition
- Understanding of LABC initiatives such as the Partner Authority and Type Approval schemes.
- A working knowledge of sustainability issues as they relate to building construction and design.
- Effective customer care skills and ability to successfully handle complaints.
- Ability to ensure that services provided are of a high quality and to agreed targets and service outcomes.
- Practical understanding of the implications of Health and Safety legislation particularly in relation to personal safety and the safety of others