Structural Engineer, BLP Insurance
Job Specification – Structural Engineer
Reports to: Technical Director
Working arrangements: 9.30 am to 5.30 pm, Monday to Friday.
Location: A mix between London office and/or home based working with travel to inspect schemes in progress within a defined area or further afield if required.
The Thomas Miller Group is an independent and international provider of insurance, professional and investment services. BLP (Building LifePlans Ltd), part of the Thomas Miller Group, has been providing building defects insurance and other related products and services since 1999.
Overall Objective of Role:
To work within the Technical team to provide the risk management inspection and auditing of a portfolio of projects from design through to practical completion and to recommend or otherwise the inception of insurance cover for each scheme. Portfolio of work could consist of residential as well as commercial schemes, new build and refurbishment projects within a given geographical area.
To ensure that each scheme is inspected and audited in accordance with agreed standards in terms of frequency of inspections and analysis of information received utilising the bespoke BLP risk management software.
To ensure a good level of communication with customers is maintained throughout and that work is planned and re-planned as required to meet agreed service levels and ensure insurance cover can be incepted when required.
- To manage a portfolio of schemes and clients
- To ensure that the desktop review is progressed and that key stage inspections are planned and undertaken as required in line with BLP procedures
- To inspect building works in progress in accordance with risk at appropriate stages up to and including final completion. Provide defect reports and technical advice
- To accept or reject construction standards for new build and conversion work against industry good practice and standards
- To be responsible for raising any construction issues with clients at an early stage to give the opportunity of rectifying problems and to recommend schemes for acceptance or otherwise for Latent Defect Insurance cover
- To refer issues up to the Technical Manager or Director at an early stage that may impact on BLP’s ability to issue exclusion free policies
- To ensure that all issues raised during construction, both design and/or workmanship, are adequately dealt with prior to completion
- To ensure that the audit process is completed and technical approval is issued in line with customer requirements
- To be the customer’s primary point of contact throughout the construction phase
- To develop customer relationships and confidence through delivering great service
- To remain up to date with new materials, construction methods and legislation
- To provide Structural Engineering support to the Technical and Underwriting Teams
- To undertake pre-quote desktop risk assessments of schemes and produce a written report for underwriters
Projects and Other Tasks:
- To obtain a CSCS card
- To promote BLP at every opportunity and to be an ambassador for the company at all times
- To assist the whole team in delivering the company’s aims and objectives
- To actively contribute to the continuous development of the technical database
- To keep up to date with new products, techniques and legislation
- To train and mentor Trainee Engineers as required
- Ordinary degree or HNC/D or equivalent - essential
- A Full Member of the Institute of Structural Engineers, or similar - essential
- Extensive knowledge of new house building techniques and conversion work, technology and legislation - essential
- Relevant experience in the design and supervision of large scale office/commercial and high rise large residential schemes - essential
- Knowledge of reinforced concrete and steel frame structures and associated cladding systems - essential
- A current driving licence - essential
- Ability to interpret and apply technical theory and Building Regulations to practical situations is required
- Ability to demonstrate well-developed professional communication, interpersonal and organisational skills
- Ability to communicate at a high level with senior managers both Technical and Underwriting from within BLP and elsewhere with varying degrees of technical knowledge.
- Ability to work as part of a team and a willingness to share knowledge and experience with colleagues
- Good IT and computer skills; Microsoft Office, Outlook and CRM; training will be provided for internal bespoke systems
- Effective communication and negotiation skills
- Customer service skills
- Self-motivated and well organised
- Ability to work on own initiative with minimum supervision
- Effectively organises own priorities to meet deadlines, both internal and external
To apply please send your CV and a covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please provide details of your current salary and notice period.