Bridge Engineer - London , UK
CH2M is a global leader in consulting, design and programme management. We love to tackle complex challenges, and we know that our best solutions come out of close, trusted partnerships with our clients and the communities we touch.
Be a part of something Special: Every professional aspires to be part of something special, to innovate and to change the world for the better; leaving their ideas & visions imprinted in the landscape for future generations to wonder ‘how’ as they marvel at the scale & complexity in front of them.
Here at CH2M we are fortunate to work towards this every day, enhancing the lives of the communities around us & greatly improving infrastructure for business and the economy to compete & thrive.
The Role: We deliver major schemes for Highways England, Network Rail, Environment Agency and contractors both in the UK and internationally. Additionally we have worked on a number of Local Authorities and developers across London and the South East. We support our clients in realising their bridge related schemes, achieved through a fully integrated approach to project delivery; drawing on the services of all CH2M skill groups from locations throughout the region.
We have an impressive scope of works to deliver on a diverse range of bridge, highway and railway projects such as:
• Bridge designs for the Lower Thames Crossing
• Bridge concepts/design packages for HS2
• Bridge designs and various studies for Smart Motorway M6 and M4 schemes
• Bridge designs for Oxford Flood Alleviation Scheme
• Bridge replacement and refurbishment of underline Network Rail bridges
• Feasibility studies and initial designs for pedestrian/cycle bridges
• Feasibility studies of structures on Environment Agency flood alleviation schemes
• Construction management of the improvements and widening of the M25 Motorway
• We are also involved in a number of overseas projects in countries such as Dubai
In addition to these projects we are also in the tender process for a number of significant and iconic projects.
You: We are looking for a talented individual to join our London office playing a key role in expanding the Bridges business both locally and internationally. With a recent increase in the portfolio of projects to deliver we are now looking to expand the team. These projects would provide you with quality design and supervision roles which ensure you will continue to see your work taken through to construction and have your professional development supported. You will also be enabled to develop your technical and managerial capabilities.
You will be passionate about bridge design, have a desire to succeed and be part of a winning team. A talented and experienced Bridge Engineer, you will provide direction and support to the assistant and graduate engineers to ensure successful delivery of projects. You will also facilitate a succession for growth, development and sustainability.
This role will provide you with first class career development opportunities and enable you to become involved in career defining, technically challenging projects both locally and internationally. As such, we are looking for individuals seeking to take their career to the next level and work on projects that will become the highlight of their career to date.
The minimum qualifications for this position are:
• Responsible for project delivery, working within a team on such activities as structural analysis, feasibility studies, tenders designs, detailed designs and the production of technical reports and contract documents on a range of bridge and highway related projects
• Undertake project or design management responsibilities on small to medium sized projects, including client and stakeholder liaison
• Apply your knowledge and skills in working together with the team and other disciplines in providing an integrated service to clients
• Seek innovative solutions throughout internal or external collaborations in achieving best value in delivering our services
• Assist in the development and mentoring of the team through the delivery of projects and commissions, providing technical and administrative support and leadership where required
• Manage your time and those within your project team to assigned budgets and programme
• Chartered bridge engineer (or working towards becoming chartered) with extensive relevant work experience within a bridge design office; specifically of the following areas:
Bridge assessment & inspection
• Full membership of (or working towards) an appropriate professional body such as the ICE or IStructE
• Dynamic, enthusiastic individuals, particularly those people with an interest in bridge design and want to develop their careers as being part of a winning team
• Desire to mentor and coach those around you to ensure project delivery and advance the technical abilities of others
• Proven track record of delivery of bridge and highway related projects and an ability to work effectively within a multi-disciplinary team
• Working knowledge of Eurocodes and British Standards in the field of bridge engineering
• Working knowledge of Highways Agency and Network Rail standards and specifications
• Experience of undertaking client facing roles
• Experience of project financial management and bidding to deliver continued workload
• Relevant accredited engineering degree, ideally a minimum 2:1
• Computer literate with working knowledge of structural analysis packages and AutoCAD
• Excellent numerical and analytical skills
• Excellent written and spoken ability in English as you will be expected to discuss project requirements with clients, and produce quality reports and technical papers for review
• Ability to deliver presentations
• A full valid driving licence
• Experience of stakeholder management
• Computer literate with MathCAD would be beneficial
• Knowledge of the ECC form of contract (Project Manager, Supervisor roles)
• Knowledge of London Underground or AASHTO standards and specifications would be an advantage
Our Culture: Safety & health conscious, flexible working conditions, collaborative & friendly with regular social activities. We’re full of initiatives for creating a diverse and interesting place for professionals to work, as well as individuals wanting to advance their career. We support and encourage our people to go through their professional qualifications. To get ahead we also have our JUMP network for aspiring junior to mid-level CH2Mers.
The CH2M Foundation is renowned for supporting and helping to nurture sustainable communities. We partner ‘Engineers without Borders’, ‘Water for People’ and ‘Bridges to Prosperity’. We’re STEM ambassadors. We promote WISE (Women in Science & Engineering), we also have our own women’s engineering network to promote equality in our industry.
Take a look around our site to see some of the iconic projects we are involved in all around the world! Soon you could be part of award winning CH2M.
Developing People through Challenging Projects. CH2M is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This role is only open to applicants able to accept local employment contract conditions and not expatriate employment terms. Please note that this role is only considering applications with valid working rights for the UK, CH2M will not sponsor an employment visa to fill this position.