Design Manager - Ringmer, UK
We are global leader in consulting, design and programme management. We love to tackle complex challenges, and we know that our best solutions come out of close, trusted partnerships with our clients and the communities we touch.
We have formed a Joint Venture with Costain to deliver the end to end Highways Service for East Sussex County Council. The contract started in 2016 and is worth around £50m per annum, for 7 years. The service includes management of stakeholder and maintenance of all aspects of the Highway. This includes street lighting, traffic and signals, drainage, carriageways, footways, bridges and structures – right through to design and delivery.
This role is located within the Design Team, leading, directing and motivating the design team to deliver the Annual Service Programme for East Sussex Highways.
We are looking for a passionate Design Manager to take overall responsibility for design delivery of the Annual Service Programme (ASP) at East Sussex Highways. As a member of the Senior Management Team, you will be working closely with the Client team, coordinating the design programme and allocating the appropriate delivery team and resources.
The successful candidate will have exceptional skills to manage Scheme Project Managers and design teams working on a variety of projects spanning Highway maintenance, Streetlighting, Structures and Infrastructure Design. You will have overall responsibility for a team of 40+ staff including 9 direct reports. Providing effective leadership and communication, clear objectives will be key, so that the team identifies with East Sussex Highways and delivers our values.
Project Management of all external design resources, consultant and supplier contracts through East Sussex Highways, and associated invoicing and financial management is crucial to this role. You will plan, monitor and control resources to maximise the efficient and effective use of finances and people to ensure that all activities are completed on time, cost and quality targets. You will also be involved in developing and maintaining the QMS for design and have responsibility for key project performance indicators, ensuring successful delivery whilst being compliant with legislation, standards and processes.
By providing effective leadership on health and safety matters by actively promoting safe working practises you will ensure compliance with policy and standards.
The minimum qualifications for this position are:
• Civil or Structural Engineering related degree
• Chartered Civil Engineer
• Project Management qualification (AMP) or similar
• Working with a local authority Highways Client on similar contracts
• Extensive Design experience
• Team development Coaching and leadership skills
• Excellent technical Design knowledge
• Clear understanding of CDM 2015 and Health and Safety
• Clear understanding of Highway Legislation and procedures
• Use of and development of QMS to BS ISO 9001
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
• Demonstrable communication and IT skills (including Word, Excel, MS Project and PowerPoint)
• Excellent organisational and multi‐tasking skills and an ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines, whilst maintaining attention to detail
• Flexible approach to working hours, should it be necessary to work outside of the core working hours
• Collaborative skills
The ideal candidate will possess the following skills and experience:
• Technical experience delivering Local Authority Highway projects
This role is only open to applicants able to accept local employment contract conditions and not expatriate employment terms. Please note that this role is only considering applications with valid working rights for the UK. CH2M will not sponsor an employment visa to fill this position.
Learn more about our collaborative, friendly culture and the ways in which we’re driven to support diversity through multiple networks and initiatives. We support and encourage every employee’s professional growth and provide flexible working conditions where appropriate. We’re full of initiatives for creating a diverse and interesting place for professionals to work, as well as advance their career.
CH2M is an Equal Opportunity Employer who is committed to the safety and wellbeing of all.