Senior Design engineer (Civil Engineer)
Expected posting length 3 years
We are seeking a Civil Engineer to work as a Senior Design Engineer within the HMNB Clyde Design Authority (DA). The Clyde DA undertakes a vital role in ensuring the design integrity and justification for safety of the key defence infrastructure; systems, structures and components (SSC) that interface with submarine Nuclear Propulsion (NP) and Nuclear Weapon (NW) systems. The SSC at Clyde directly support the operational deployment of the United Kingdom’s Strategic Nuclear Deterrent; Vanguard Class submarines and Astute Class Attack Submarines, throughout their life cycle.
The post offered is for a Senior Design (Civil) Engineer (Band C2) working as part of an integrated team of Engineers; civil, mechanical and electrical. The work of the Design Authority is varied covering all design aspects such as:
• Nuclear infrastructure safety justifications & designs that meet the appropriate standards and codes; and deliver the through life reliability and maintainability requirements.
• Operating Conditions & Limits and the Safety systems continued suitability for in-service use of the Clyde SSC
• Design capability and Examination Inspection Maintenance and Testing (EIMT) Schedules. Changes to EIMT; defect trends etc
• Nuclear site safety justification & design Intent of change of use of equipment,.
• Periodic Review of Safety programme and Performance Management reviews
The DA is the Approving Authority that provides an Intelligent Customer capability for the design and safety justification of the SSC at Clyde.
We are seeking a Civil Engineer with good practical experience and knowledge of working with a variety of SSC that demonstrates suitability for the role and competence within your own subject matter.
The key responsibilities for the role are:
• Design activities including: specification, preparation, production, assessment, acceptance and approval for use and through life management
• Through life availability, reliability and maintainability (ARM) requirements for SSC within the operating and maintenance documentation
• Support to surveys and analysis in support of the Clyde Periodic Review of Safety programme
• Review and scrutiny of proposed scope for independent technical reviews and reviewers suitability.
• Support to the development and application of policies and safety management arrangements
To be considered for this role you will;
• Have sound practical civil engineering experience, including leading or being part of technical projects, understanding of structures, potential hazards and hazard withstand
• Have good experience in structural, geo technical and environmental engineering and construction
• Evidence of making intelligent, measured decisions with good analytical skills
• Be a good communicator with ability to discuss and brief at all levels. We value people who respect others, work well in a team and can build constructive relationships with stakeholders.
• Ideally have knowledge and experience of working in the nuclear industry although consideration will be given to strong candidates with relevant experience gained outside of the nuclear industry.
From day one you will be supported by your line manager, a subject matter expert mentor and colleagues to understand your role in the Clyde DA and to develop your skills and support you in your continuing professional development (CPD). CPD is a high priority within the Clyde DA and you will be encouraged to maintain your career evidence portfolio and be provided with opportunity to stretch your capability. Where formal training is required this will be provided.
Minimum of HNC in an engineering discipline, though ideally an Engineering Council Accredited BEng or MEng
Incorporated Engineer, ideally Chartered Engineer, status with an appropriate institute
We'll assess you against these competencies during the selection process:
- Leading and communicating
- Making effective decisions
- Collaborating and partnering
- Delivering at pace
- NUC 1.1 - Nuclear Safety & Security Culture (Level 1)
- NUC 1.2 – Nuclear Safety Management Systems (Level 1)
- NUC 4.4 – Nuclear Infrastructure Concept, Assessment, Design, Modifications and Life Extensions (Level 2)
- NUC 6.1 – Nuclear Reactor Plant and Supporting Infrastructure Maintenance (Level 2)
For more Information please click apply now.