The Canal & River Trust is one of the UK’s biggest charities and we are entrusted with the care of over 2,000 miles of waterways in England and Wales. As well as maintaining canals and rivers, we are also responsible for an extensive network of waterside infrastructure along with museums, archives and the country’s third largest collection of protected historic buildings – preserving them for future generations.
We are currently seeking an experienced Civil Engineer to manage the Trust’s technical approval and consenting obligations on the HS2 project.
The role will require frequent travel and the job holder will be required to work from the HS2 office in Snow Hill, Birmingham for two days per week and will be based at the Canal & River Trust Aqua House office in Snow Hill, Birmingham.
This vacancy is fully funded via an agreement between the Trust and HS2 Ltd. However, the job holder will be required to collate and record the costs of other Trust staff required to provide support in the review of technical approval packages, in accordance with the Trust’s Service Level Agreement with HS2 Ltd.
The successful candidate will be line managed by the Trusts Infrastructure Services team but will have functional responsibility to the Trust’s HS2 Project Lead.
This post is intended to be on a 2 year fixed term basis, however there may be a need to extend.
Two year contract.
The job holder will be responsible for undertaking the Trust’s technical approval and consenting obligations relating to the delivery of Phase 1 of the HS2 project, between London and the West Midlands. Typically this will include: -
- Attending meetings and site visits with HS2 Ltd, it’s consultants and contractors
- Reviewing technical approval packages that affect the Trusts infrastructure, in accordance with the requirements of the project Plan and the Trust’s Side Agreement with HS2 Ltd.
- Consultation with internal and external stakeholders
- Provide support to the Trust’s HS2 Planning Lead with respect to Local Planning Authority approvals
- Buildability, value engineering and problem-solving reviews with HS2 Ltd, its consultants and contractors.
- Provision of documentation relating to the Trust’s consent and approval for works affecting its infrastructure
- Site visits to verify compliance with agreed conditions, problem solving etc
- Collate and record and recover staff costs in accordance with the Trust’s Service Level Agreement with HS2 Ltd.
- Recommend efficiency improvements by identifying and sharing best practice adopted by HS2, it’s consultants and contractors.
Experience, Knowledge & Qualifications:
- Demonstrate comprehensive relevant experience.
- Proven experience of inspecting / delivering engineering activities.
- Proven experience in assessing infrastructure risk.
- Demonstrable experience in cross-functional working delivering performance across range of functions
- Experience in the delivery of excellent customer service standards
- Able to provide a good standard of written communication and proven ability to present technical data to non-technical audiences.
- Able to support other areas of the business in an appropriate manner, taking account of overall business priorities and negotiating resources as appropriate.
- Experience of engineering in the water environment - Desirabe
- Knowledge and understanding of historic infrastructure – Desirabl
- Professional qualification in a relevant technical discipline, such as Degree or HND in Civil Engineering
- Membership of relevant professional body at an appropriate level e.g. MICE – Desirable.
- Chartered Engineer or equivalent professional qualification (ICE) – Desirable.
This vacancy offers a salary of up to £35k, generous contributory DC Pension plan, and excellent holidays. You can learn more about the employee benefits we offer here: https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/about-us/work-for-us/our-benefits
We aim to represent the diverse communities we are part of and welcome applicants from across all sectors of the community. We strongly believe that a diverse workforce brings with it a diversity of ideas, thinking and ways of working which enhances what we do.
Find out more about the work we do and opportunities we have on our website:https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/about-us
Click 'Apply' to apply online now