Chief Engineer – Highways Infrastructure
We’re seeking a recognised thought leader with exemplary credentials across the Highways Infrastructure domain to join TRL as the Chief Engineer for Infrastructure Division. With a deep knowledge within one or more of Highways Design, Pavement Engineering, Structures or Asset Management - the successful candidate will play an influential role as part of TRL’s Academy - influencing industry and academia in through strategically-aligned Thought Leadership themes. Responsible for developing and executing initiatives to improve the Division’s scientific and engineering skills, Chief Scientists regularly engage with the market, focused towards the delivery of innovative, valuable outcomes for clients and for TRL.
Based from our headquarters in Crowthorne, Berkshire – there is a requirement for regular client and market engagements across the UK with occasional international travel.
Key Duties / Responsibilities
- In conjunction with the Divisional Director, take a leading role in the evolution of the Division’s Strategic Plan, especially relating to knowledge building and capability development.
- Lead and coordinate Divisional ‘Thought Leadership’ to ensure TRL’s research findings and opinions are shared with appropriate audiences including publishing credible reports, papers and articles in line with the Strategic Plan.
- Support Divisional business development activities
- Take responsibility for the technical quality of work conducted in the Division and the wider TRL.
- As part of the wider Academy, ensure staff are fully supported and trained to meet the required technical standards and external professional accreditations (CPD).
- Provide focus for academic activities, including building links with universities and the professional institutions in addition to fostering new partnerships.
- In conjunction with the Academy, lead the re-investment research programme by reviewing and refining relevant ideas to fund.
- Develop the company-wide knowledge base, leading activities that promote knowledge transfer and exploitation e.g. Academy seminars, reports and workshops.
Skills & Experience
Applicants must be able to evidence substantial experience and knowledge across the Highways infrastructure domain including expertise in several of the following areas; Asset Management, BIM, Intelligent Infrastructure, Engineering Design standards, Structures & Pavements.
As a significant element of the role is externally focused, individuals must also be able to demonstrate polished presentation skills and be comfortable presenting to large groups of industry peers.
Educated to degree level or higher in an engineering or science discipline – the successful applicant is likely to be an active member of an appropriate professional institution