Senior Mechanical Engineer
This is an excellent opportunity to join a forward-thinking market leader in railway Overhead Line Electrification (OLE). The OLE Basic Design team in Derby work at the cutting edge of railway electrification, with arguably an unrivalled capability. As a member of this team, you will be involved with the design and verification of a number of OLE system components, from structures and foundations to conductors and wiring.
The Basic Design team is responsible for undertaking structural design calculations, Finite Element analysis and OLE dynamic performance monitoring. As part of this team, you will play a key role in delivering complex projects to tight budgets and deadlines, enabling the wider OLE design team to implement their designs.
With a large portfolio of high-profile electrification projects (both current and in the pipeline), this role offers excellent professional development and personal progression.
This is a permanent role based in the Derby office.
• MEng/MSc in Mechanical Engineering, although candidates with suitable experience without these qualifications will be considered.
• Chartered or approaching Chartered status within IMechE or similar institution.
• Excellent knowledge of structural and mechanical principles.
• Ability to undertake structural and mechanical calculations without supervision.
• Finite Element modelling or mathematical modelling experience
• Previous experience in the railway sector; particularly Overhead Line Electrification (OLE).
• Previous experience in the aerospace sector or relevant stress analysis role.
• Knowledge of Network Rail standards and Eurocodes, particularly for steel (BS EN 1993).
• Experience with Abaqus, MATLAB, Mathcad, TEDDS, STAAD and Microstation software packages.
• Undertake loading calculations for a range of different OLE structures, in accordance with Network Rail standards.
• Undertake structural analysis calculations, in accordance with Eurocodes.
• Undertake structural checks for different failure modes (flexural buckling,lateral torsional buckling etc.)
The candidate will have:
• Excellent numerical skills with the ability to undertake complex calculations.
• Excellent communication and the ability to write technical reports.
• A fine attention to detail and the ability to work unsupervised.
• An aptitude to learn quickly.
Atkins develops individuals through a portfolio of training and development activities designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. These are reviewed with individuals through an annual appraisal process. We actively support staff in achieving corporate membership of relevant institutions.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.