Transport Planner Managing Consultant
Atkins’ Transportation Consultancy Practice comprises 500 staff delivering planning, technical and advisory consultancy services to a wide-ranging client base in the UK and overseas. We are part of a larger Transportation business of 3,000 talented professionals covering highway, rail and local transport sectors in the UK.
In 2018 we will be growing our Consultancy team in Atkins’ Glasgow office to better support our successful engineering design business and face the range of strategic highway and local transport planning opportunities that are emerging in Scotland.
Over the next year we want to develop a transport planning team that provides the full range of strategic and local planning, transport modelling, business case and development planning skills. We are looking for people to join us at different levels who want to contribute to shaping and growing a high performing, dynamic team that works seamlessly with our wider national Transportation business but also helps grow our presence in our local Scottish markets.
The successful candidate will have a background in transport planning with experience in working across a range of projects for multiple clients. Ideally this should include projects for Transport Scotland and for some of the larger local authorities in Scotland – though we will also consider candidates with experience from elsewhere in the UK looking to develop their career in Scotland. The candidate must have a broad range of transport planning skills covering scheme development, modelling and business case as well as experience in working alongside engineers, planners and environmental specialists. They should also have good project management experience and be comfortable in engaging with clients and stakeholders on transport projects.
We are looking for an individual who will relish the challenge of growing a transport planning team in Scotland. The successful candidate will report to a senior transport planner based in Scotland responsible for growing our transport planning portfolio in Scotland, working with them to shape the portfolio and help form a dynamic, high-performing team. The successful candidate will have a key role in supporting the team leader in winning as well as delivering work. As the team grows, it is expected that the role will entail line management of junior staff and graduates.
• Work as part of project teams leading on transport planning components of major transport projects, with responsibilities for scoping and undertaking technical transport planning tasks, interfacing with planning and engineering design teams, and contributing to reporting and client and stakeholder engagement.
• Lead transport planning projects for a range of clients acting as project manager or task manager, with responsibility for task/project management including technical delivery, commercial project performance, quality and client relationships.
• Work with the transport planning team leader in Scotland to identify and secure work from local clients in line with our strategy to grow our Scottish transport planning business. This will entail undertaking targeted business development activities, leading and contributing to tender submissions and promoting Atkins in the external market.
• Work collaboratively with teams from our national transport planning business working on projects and bids outside Scotland as required.
• Support the team leader in managing and growing the Scotland transport planning team.
• Appropriate academic and professional qualifications - degree qualified in a relevant discipline (such as Geography, Urban Planning, Engineering, Transport Planning, Mathematics, Economics).
• Experience of working in a Transport Planning Consultancy, or in Central Government or a Local Authority, ideally in Scotland.
• Market knowledge of the UK and Scotland transport sector.
• Excellent report writing, other written and numerical presentation skills.
• Excellent communication skills.
• Willingness to travel to different client locations in Scotland and the North of England
• Experience and technical competency in at least two of the following: local transport planning; strategic transport planning; transport modelling; business case preparation; transport scheme development; development planning; traffic engineering; or statutory processes.
• Experience of developing relationships with clients and supporting work winning activity across client organisations.
• Experience of building effective networks across organisations.
Atkins is a large international multi-disciplinary consultancy that offers great scope for your career. And we’re very agile in the way we work and respond to new challenges. Looking at things from every angle, we deliver innovative solutions by working closely with our customers at every stage of a project. We’ll value you for exceeding customer expectations and delivering innovative solutions. We don’t believe there’s a better place to be right now. There are so many opportunities to upskill, grow your career and move between sectors – we are a business that places no limits on how far you can progress. You’ll enjoy an exceptional rewards and benefits package including forward-thinking equal opportunities and flexible working options to ensure that working with us works for you. We believe that diverse teams provide the best mix if interpersonal and technical skills needed to exceed our customers’ expectations.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.