Transport Planner Senior Managing Consultant
Atkins’ Transportation Consultancy Practice comprises 500 staff delivering planning, technical and advisory consultancy services to a wide-ranging client base in the UK and overseas. We are part of a larger Transportation business of 3,000 talented professionals covering highway, rail and local transport sectors in the UK.
We are looking to make a senior appointment to strengthen our transport planning team in Wales, to grow our business in front-end planning and to support our successful engineering design business. As a result of increased certainty of funding and the commitment to a long-term programme for transport infrastructure in Wales there is an opportunity for us to significantly expand the range of services we offer our clients.
The successful candidate will work with our UK transport planning business and our Market Director for Wales to identify, pursue and secure transport planning and advisory commissions that support our clients in planning and delivering their infrastructure programmes and projects. The successful candidate will be able to blend strategic transport planning, scheme development and business case expertise with excellent client engagement skills. The successful candidate will also have a track record in technical project delivery plus a proven capability in work winning, demonstrating commercial acumen and a dedication to delivering quality outputs and outcomes for our clients. This role is primarily project and client facing but will also support local practice managers in shaping our Consultancy team in Wales.
A background in transport planning is essential, with experience in working across a range of projects for multiple clients. Ideally this should include projects for Welsh Government and also some of the larger local authorities in Wales – though we will also consider candidates with experience from elsewhere in the UK looking to develop their career in Wales. The candidate must have a broad range of transport planning skills covering policy, scheme development and planning, modelling and business case, and experience in working alongside engineers, planner and environmental specialists.
• Leading and managing a portfolio of transport planning bids and projects, focussing on the Welsh market but also providing support to our teams in the South West of England as required. This comprises technical, financial and project management of projects in line with Atkins management systems and processes.
• Providing technical leadership to the Cardiff transport planning team in strategic planning and scheme development.
• Playing a key role in work winning on a wide range of transport planning areas including policy and strategy, scheme appraisal and business cases, evaluation, and stakeholder engagement ensuring technical excellence and a first-class product for our clients.
• Developing relationships with key clients and promoting Atkins working with our Market Director for Wales as part of a Key Account Management team to significantly increase revenue from strategic clients in Wales. This will include working with the Framework Directors for our frameworks with Local Authorities to maximise opportunities.
• Identifying and implementing opportunities for deploying innovative styles and techniques in project delivery.
• Overseeing and assuring the financial and commercial management of projects and bids.
• Appropriate academic and professional qualifications - degree qualified in a relevant discipline (such as Geography, Urban Planning, Engineering, Transport Planning, Mathematics, Economics).
• Experience of working in a Transport Planning Consultancy, Central Government or a Local Authority, ideally in Wales with an existing profile with key clients in the Welsh market.
• Excellent report writing, other written and numerical presentation skills.
• Willingness to travel to different client locations in Wales and in the South West of England
• Strong track record of managing the operation of teams to successfully deliver against business objectives and targets, ideally within a consultancy environment.
• Proven track record leading teams to deliver high quality technical transport planning work within commercial and financial constraints.
• Excellent communication skills to engage effectively with clients and teams across Atkins, understanding and meeting client requirements, unlocking new work and developing team performance.
• Highly knowledgeable about the current Welsh and UK transport policy context and able to utilise this knowledge through projects and client interaction.
• Experience and technical competency in at least three of the following: local transport planning; transport policy; strategic transport planning; transport modelling; business case preparation; transport scheme development; public transport planning; or statutory processes.
• Committed to continuous improvement and innovation across transport planning.
Atkins is a large international multi-disciplinary consultancy that offers great scope for your career. And we’re very agile in the way we work and respond to new challenges. Looking at things from every angle, we deliver innovative solutions by working closely with our customers at every stage of a project. We’ll value you for exceeding customer expectations and delivering innovative solutions. We don’t believe there’s a better place to be right now. There are so many opportunities to upskill, grow your career and move between sectors – we are a business that places no limits on how far you can progress. You’ll enjoy an exceptional rewards and benefits package including forward-thinking equal opportunities and flexible working options to ensure that working with us works for you. We believe that diverse teams provide the best mix if interpersonal and technical skills needed to exceed our customers’ expectations.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.