Head of Civil Engineering
As part of DP World, one of the world’s largest terminal operators, London Gateway offers the opportunity to work for a global organisation in an exciting working environment that relies on team work, commitment, communication and leadership.
London Gateway is the UK’s most integrated logistics hub, a state-of-the-art, globally connected deep-sea port and rail terminal.
Reporting to the Port Operations Director the Head of Civil Engineering supports the development of the London Gateway Port and Logistics Park. Responsible for the management of design, procurement and overall construction activities, ensuring that works are delivered to the highest quality, technical standards and are within budget and timescales.
The London Gateway development is one of the UKs biggest infrastructure projects and has been nationally recognised on multiple occasions by the Institution of Engineers. The total spend to date is £1.5 billion with ongoing expansion works continuing.
The successful candidate will have demonstrable experience of detailed design, supervision and construction of infrastructure projects, and will be a team player with proven ability to work with and influence a variety of people.
Key Responsibilities and Objectives
- To lead and support the Civil Engineering team who manage Project Design and Construction Teams (Architects/ Engineers/Cost Consultants/Environmentalists/ Contractors). Apportioning accountability to ensure the projects are delivered to programme, budget and quality expected for a high class port and park.
- Set overall project milestones, management, plan and resources to achieve those milestones;
- Monitor and manage key risks threatening timely successful project completion;
- To monitor, report on and, where necessary, query progress of the works;
- Ensure the works are delivered safely and without detriment to the environment
- Develop the Civil Engineering team and take a lead role in coordination of works with other departments to secure delivery of all projects/infrastructure to London Gateway and joint venture requirements;
- Deliver the customers’ requirements in accordance with the London Gateway business plan and any agreements with the customers;
- Provide technical input to ensure delivery of high quality, cost effective technical work on projects and maintenance;
- Awareness of budgetary control, conducting regular budget reviews and updates;
- Optimised maintenance budget;
- Lead the tendering, procurement and subsequent construction and maintenance delivery of the relevant port and park projects.
Qualifications, skills and experience:
Degree or higher degree in Civil Engineering
Experience in port and logistics parks is highly desirable
Good contractual experience is essential
Pro-active outlook, practical and hands on approach
All positions within London Gateway are subject to CRB checks.
London Gateway is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief or marital status.
Closing date for applications: 21st December 2018