Bouygues Travaux Publics (TP) and Laing O'Rourke, two of Europe’s most dynamic engineering and construction specialists, are working together in a joint venture named BYLOR to deliver the main civil engineering works at Hinkley Point C (HPC) worth over £2.8 billion.
The Project Engineer will have responsibility for ensuring engineering and technical compliance, and delivering required levels of quality in accordance with specification, on various structures as part of this prestigious project.
Key Deliverables and Accountabilities
Safety, Health, Environment & Sustainability
- Prepare, check / approve method statements and risk assessments ensuring that appropriate priority is given to the public and that third-party approvals are obtained where necessary.
- Produces Permit to Excavate, and Control of Buried Services on the project and ensures systems are in place for operating these as well as permits required by various other activities.
- Fully conversant with the COSHH regulations
- Undertakes HSE tours of the project and involved in actively monitoring the HSE performance of the project
- Takes responsibility for one or more environmental issue on the project. Ensures that systems and procedures are implemented to satisfy contractual and statutory requirements, liaising with third parties, such as the Environmental Agency
- Reviews HNM cards and proposes actions to prevent occurrence
- Determines the most appropriate methods of dimensional control, taking advice from specialists as required
- Ensures that appropriate survey equipment is available and that calibration records are maintained
- Determines the requirement for and the format of as-built surveys and reports
- Can interrogate and transfer setting out data from 3D CAD data
- Understands spatial relationships between elements and reviews specified tolerances particularly at interfaces to ensure they are achievable
- Supervises, provides training and ensures competence of those carrying out dimensional control tasks
Workmanship, Quality, Inspection & Testing
- Produces ITPs to ensure they correctly interpret the specified quality requirements and improves as necessary
- Ensures that sub-contractors quality procedures comply with company / contract quality requirements
- Ensure that NCRs are raised, costed and closed out, and that appropriate controls are applied to prevent reoccurrence
- Reviews construction / installation details and challenges then to improve build-ability and minimise risk of later construction issues
- Contributes to internal and external audits as an auditee, ensuring findings are closed out.
- Ensures that company & project quality requirements procedures are implemented.
Information, Change Control & Records
- Ensures contractor designed elements are approved by the main design consultant, checks and approves / gets approved subcontractor drawings and information
- Ensures that relevant as built information is collected and assist in the preparation of the O&M / H&S documentation on handover
- Ensure information is available and current to enable efficient procurement of materials and subcontractors, and for the construction of the Works
Permanent Works Materials, Products, Plant & Systems
- Knows of and uses published standards, regulations, guidance, ACOP and technical information
- Establishes testing regimes, ensures testing carried out in accordance with the standards. Interprets test results and produce reports as required.
- Input into technical assessment for suppliers, specialist contractors, materials, plan, equipment and designers as required.
Construction Methods, Practices and Innovation
- Challenges existing methods / procedures being used, evaluating alternative solutions & proposed innovations to determine if they are more effective than current methods
- Uses the Digital Engineering model to develop methods, clarify issues and resolve method related problems
- Produces method statements for complex and high-risk operations such as those affecting the public
- Approves method statements and risk assessments, evaluating them and suggesting improvements
- Communicates methods / procedures to those involved in the operations including by using the DE model
- Assesses works on site and produce lessons learnt documents for distribution within the business
- Actively contributes to the design process with ideas and options whilst adding buildability and efficient use of materials advice to consultants
- Ensures compliance with the design drawings and specifications, ensuring that the design is interpreted into the construction as per the employer’s requirements
- Can interrogate the design and knows the key design phases and how they link into the overall programme.
- Is aware of the inter-disciplinary nature of design and understands how change impacts the design process.
- Proactively manages interfaces between trades / subcontracts to avoid future issues
- Ability to monitor progress against programme, producing short term resourced programmes
- Supervise / monitor the performance of operatives, trades, foremen and subcontractors.
Commercial and business acumen
- Knows the outputs for a range of works, ensuring effective methods are used to optimise output
- Ensures technical related contractual liabilities are met.
- Maintains a detailed site diary covering issues within their area and monitors diaries of other engineers
- Provide technical input to form part of an enquiry package
- Contributes to the selection of suppliers and subcontractors having assessed the technical proposals
- Provide technical advice and support with the resolution of technical problems
- Ensures that technical control is maintained across the project by applying engineering procedures.
- Degree in Engineering / Civil Engineering
- MICE/FICE or equivalent
- CEng or equivalent
- Would have multi-disciplinary experience in engineering roles.
- Experience of technical delivery of envelope and finishing trades as well as more traditional engineering works.
- Experience of sub-contractor management as well as direct delivery works.
- Experience of managing multi-level engineering teams in project environments.
- Experience of managing large/complex temporary works as a Temporary Works Coordinator.
- Experience of managing lifting operations as Appointed Person.
- Ideally 5 years + experience in projects and engineering.
Apply for Project Engineer
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly