Senior Civil Engineer
We are seeking a Civil Engineer with particular experience in water and infrastructure engineering to join our team. We will consider applications for both a contractor or permanent role for this position.
Expedition is an award-winning engineering design practice. We are the engineers behind many iconic projects including the London 2012 Velodrome. We offer a high value, strategic design service for sustainable water environments and our work includes a number of significant urban regeneration projects and estate masterplans. We are motivated by finding excellent solutions to tricky problems, and open to all kinds of collaborations, project types and scales.
As a member of our Civil Engineering team, your work would include the design of below ground drainage, earthworks, pavements and highways connections on a wide variety of project types. These will range from City-wide masterplan is through to parks and public realm projects and include educational, arts and leisure, commercial and residential developments. You would be responsible for:
- Developing concept designs, producing technical design information including reports, calculations, drawings and specifications and delivering construction information
- Managing technicians and more junior team members
- Representing the company at client and design team meetings
- Managing projects and working to a fee and programme agreed with the Project Director
What we are looking for
We are looking for someone with a minimum of 5 years’ post-graduation design experience with the ability to think through complex problems and embrace creative and appropriate solutions. The successful candidate will have experience in the following core elements:
The successful candidate will have a sound technical base with good knowledge of relevant infrastructure-adoptable standards and an ability to adapt to work with international standards. They will also have;
- strong analytical and research skills with an ability to interpret and work with maps and drawings
- experience in negotiating with Statutory Authorities
- experience of design software commonly used in the design of infrastructure associated with building-based projects. This could include Autodesk Civil 3D, AutoCAD, Revit, Micro-Drainage/WinDES etc.
- a good understanding of sustainable development practice
- the ability to work individually and within a team, taking responsibility for the quality of their work
- the ability to liaise directly with clients, architects and other parties in the project’s professional team
- the ability to communicate confidently and adapt their approach to suit the specific situation
Additionally, it would be desirable but not essential for the successful candidate to have experience in:
- transport assessments and travel plans and vehicle tracking analysis
- geotechnical design including foundations and retaining structures
- contamination issues and remediation options
Applicants should have an MEng (or equivalent) Civil/Structural Engineering Degree and have Chartered Membership of a relevant institution (or be working towards this).