7 days left
- Full Time
This is a unique civil engineering role at EDF Energy’s Dungeness B Power Station, where delivering safe, reliable power is at the heart of our generation business.
Located on the south coast of England, Dungeness and the surrounding Kent and East Sussex countryside enjoys some of the warmest, sunniest and driest weather in the UK. The Station is receiving record levels of investment to support its lifetime ambition of generating beyond 2028. Combine this with excellent transport links to London via high speed rail, the UK motorway network and easy access to the near continent via the Channel Tunnel and Port of Dover, it makes working at Dungeness a fantastic opportunity to contribute to the UK’s clean energy needs, and an excellent training ground for developing skills for Nuclear New Build.
Your responsibilities as Station Civil Engineer at Dungeness B will be to manage the civil asset, which is achieved by acting as a technical conscience, alignment to international standards, technical governance, equipment reliability and investment. You will be supported to achieve this via an accredited training scheme by a central engineering Civil Design Group.
On Station you will be a member of the Engineering Department reporting to the Components & Programmes Group Head and work closely with colleagues across the organisation. You will also work together with Maintenance, Work Management, Supply Chain, our contract partners and act as a key interface with our Chief Technical Organisation, interfacing with stakeholders throughout the business.
Your day to day duties will include:
- Managing the reliability and maintenance policy for the Pre-stressed Concrete Pressure Vessel (PCPV), Civil Structures (including, roofs, cladding and glazing), Drains (oily, foul & surface), Flood & Sea Defences, Roads & Fences and Cranes.
- Identifying risks and defining the need for investment in the above plant systems.
- Provision of civil engineering advice and oversight of defects, repairs and modifications.
- Acting as a point of contact on civil matters to Civil Design Group, Design Authority and our Chief Technical Organisation.
- Provision of grey beam and ground loading assessments.
- Coordination of Site Licence Condition civil inspections.
- Periodic Safety Review close-out of civil findings.
- Acting as Responsible Engineer, author and verifier for Engineering Changes to justify modifications to plant or variations to the safety case.
- Statutory Outage duties including PCPV tendon stressing.
- Liaising with peers within the fleet, sharing best practice and continually improving local and fleet performance.
We are seeking an enthusiastic individual, whereby drive and ownership are as important to the role as innovation to improve station performance and deliver business plan objectives.
We are looking for someone who is organised, self-motivated with a positive attitude and able to work under their own initiative. You'll need drive, a sense of ownership and a “can do” attitude. You will be trained as to why nuclear is special and be required to demonstrate the highest standards of nuclear professionalism and safety.
You will have good communication and presentation skills, be able to convey complex information in a simple and concise way (both written and verbal) to both technical and non-technical stakeholders, adapting your style and content for the audience.
You will need to:
- Be resilient, adaptable and have a willingness to learn and develop.
- Have experience of working in a technical or regulated environment.
- Build effective networks and relationships.
- Be able to work on several fronts concurrently.
- Demonstrate an analytical approach with problem solving capability.
- Be able to work and act autonomously.
You will need to be able to:
- Engage with the company vision, ambitions and Station business plans.
- Demonstrate an open attitude, suggest ideas and improvements to make change.
- Express points clearly and with confidence, influencing others by promoting benefits.
- Uphold company values and ensure safety first by acting fairly, honesty and integrity.
- Strive to understand stakeholder needs.
- Maintain composure and display a professional and positive attitude.
- Contribute to a positive working environment.
- Get things done effectively by operating as a team player.
- Take initiative and ownership for delivery.
- Encourage and builds cross-functional bridges with other teams or departments
- Ensure safety in all decision making by reviewing all facts and analyses.
- Deliver to expectations and standards (safety, quality, time and budget).
- Act upon opportunities to make savings or efficiencies.
Remuneration & Benefits
You will be appointed as an Engineer and be inducted into the accredited Engineering Support Personnel (ESP) Training Programme. The salary range is between £32,535 and £ 69,861, with terms and conditions covered by the EDF Energy Nuclear Generation Company Agreement. The starting salary for this appointment will be dependent on your existing salary, competence, experience and qualifications. You will receive 28 days annual holiday plus bank holidays, incremental and competency based progression, a career average company pension scheme, access to benefits including gym membership, cinema tickets, technology offers and cycle to work scheme. The company also offers all employees at least two days each year to take part in Force for Good Community Volunteering. Employees are encouraged to use the programme to participate and engage with the local communities EDF Energy serves. All personal protective equipment will be provided.
Whether you are experienced or are fresh out of education, you will have a civil/structural engineering background and with training will be able to act as a system manager for the Station’s civil assets. As a minimum, you will have a relevant HNC (or equivalent). Candidates with a relevant degree and previous experience in a Civil Engineering environment that already hold or are working towards Chartered Civil or Structural Engineer Status will have an advantage. The company will provide mentoring and support for you to achieve chartership.