Your New Role
As part of an ongoing recruitment drive, Highways England is looking for Engineers to join our Engineering Teams across our Operations Directorate in the South West of England. We have a number of permanent positions available based in our Bristol and Exeter offices. We welcome applications for Engineers, with candidates having experience in any of the engineering disciplines below.
- Highway Improvements
These roles provide an excellent opportunity to grow your skills in all aspects of highway infrastructure civil engineering and asset management. As a member of a 50 strong team of professional engineers, you will support us in developing and delivering circa £100m / year of maintenance and improvement schemes that ensure the Strategic Road Network in the South West safely meets the requirements of our customers now and into the future
These roles provide an excellent opportunity to apply your civil engineering knowledge and skills to all aspects of highway infrastructure engineering and asset management. As a member of a 50 strong team of professional engineers, you will support us in developing and delivering circa £100m / year of maintenance and improvement schemes that ensure the Strategic Road Network in the South West safely meets the requirements of our customers now and into the future.
You will be required to drive as part of your role and you will need to have a full clean driving license to be considered for this position
What you’ll be leading on
• Ensuring the health and safety needs and wellbeing of customers and employees are fully considered and accounted for throughout the planning and delivery of each service activity
• Undertaking the identification and evaluation of asset data and needs in order to develop early solutions, in line with agreed methodologies and prioritisation criteria
• Develop early solutions for improvements and/or renewals, including the compiling of relevant documents, evidence and options for value management, taking into account new techniques, materials, buildability, and costs
• Monitoring the delivery of agreed early solutions and plans, liaising with the relevant teams to identify and/or rectify issues
• Identifying, preparing briefs and managing delivery of survey works that support the improvement and/or renewal of assets
• Developing the technical briefs provided to the design and construction contractor for improvement and renewals work
• Providing technical support to Project Managers by assisting with materials approvals, vetting of contractors’ compliance, inspection support on site, and reviewing of Health and Safety Files
To be successful
• You will hold a degree or HND in a relevant discipline and appropriate experience, or equivalent
• You will hold membership of professional Body (desirable) or be working towards membership (essential)
• You will have knowledge of asset condition assessment and degradation modelling
• You will have knowledge of Design Manual for Roads and Bridges (DMRB) standards and their application on the highways network
• You will have an understanding of the Value Management process or cost benefit analysis of schemes
• You will have proven experience in highway infrastructure design in one or more asset specific disciplines
• You will have experience in AutoCAD
• You will have experience in working within budgets including the creation of a budget for scheme development
• You will have experience in relevant construction and delivery methods
• You will have knowledge of CDM 2015
A bit about us
Making sure our customers have safe and reliable journeys is at the heart of everything we do in Operations. We keep the roads open for business and play a key role in making sure the network we manage is fit for purpose today and for the future.
Want to know more?
Please review the role profile to find out more.
Why you should join us
At Highways England we believe in a connected country. We are passionate about creating a culture where colleagues feel connected, included and enjoy greater wellbeing to achieve this. We’re proud that as an organisation we are continually striving to do better and actively encourage and support our colleagues to do the same with their careers.
So, if you put safety first, take ownership of your work, show passion for what you do, work effectively in a team, and demonstrate integrity in how you do it – then you’ll be a great fit for our organisation
We reserve the right to close before the advertised closing date, so we recommend completing your application as soon as possible.