Your new role
As part of an ongoing recruitment drive, Highways England is looking for Technicians to join our Engineering Teams across our Operations Directorate in the South West of England. We have a number of permanent positions available based in our Bristol and Exeter offices. We welcome applications for Technicians, with candidates having experience in any of the engineering disciplines below.
These roles provide an excellent opportunity to grow your skills in all aspects of highway infrastructure civil engineering and asset management. As a member of a 50 strong team of professional engineers, you will support us in developing and delivering circa £100m / year of maintenance and improvement schemes that ensure the Strategic Road Network in the South West safely meets the requirements of our customers now and into the future. We welcome applications from candidates with experience in any of the disciplines.
What you’ll be leading on
• Ensuring the health and safety needs and wellbeing of customers and employees are fully considered and accounted for throughout the planning and delivery of each service activity
• Supporting the identification and evaluation of asset specific needs in order to develop future maintenance, renewals and improvement solutions
• Supporting the development of asset renewals and improvement plans, in line with agreed methodologies and prioritisation criteria
• Providing support in the identification and management of asset studies and survey works.
• Inputting into the development of early solutions for improvements and/or renewals, including the compiling of relevant documents, evidence and options for value management
• Supporting the development of technical briefs provided to the design and construction contractor for improvement and renewals work
• Supporting the capture and maintenance of roads asset data and condition information in the relevant database(s), in line with agreed standards and timescales
To be successful
• You will hold a HND/C or other relevant qualification with relevant experience, or be working towards a relevant qualification
• You will have knowledge of asset condition assessment and degradation modelling
• You will have knowledge of Design Manual for Roads and Bridges (DMRB) standards and their application on the highways network
• You will have an understanding of the Value Management process or cost benefit analysis of schemes
• You will have experience in highway infrastructure design
• You will have experience in highway construction and delivery methods
• Experience in AutoCAD (desirable)
A bit about us
Making sure our customers have safe and reliable journeys is at the heart of everything we do in Operations. We keep the roads open for business and play a key role in making sure the network we manage is fit for purpose today and for the future.
Want to know more?
Please review the role profile to find out more.
Why you should join us
At Highways England we believe in a connected country. We are passionate about creating a culture where colleagues feel connected, included and enjoy greater wellbeing to achieve this. We’re proud that as an organisation we are continually striving to do better and actively encourage and support our colleagues to do the same with their careers.
So, if you put safety first, take ownership of your work, show passion for what you do, work effectively in a team, and demonstrate integrity in how you do it – then you’ll be a great fit for our organisation
We reserve the right to close before the advertised closing date, so we recommend completing your application as soon as possible.