Principal Civil Design Engineer
Come to work on the Transpennine Route Upgrade
Amey Consulting, as part of the Transpire Alliance, are working on delivering the high-profile Transpennine Route Upgrade (TRU) project which is a major programme of rail improvement that will have a real and lasting impact on people and communities in the North of England. We are connecting towns and cities, improving journey times and supporting economic growth for generations to come. TRU aims to deliver faster, longer, more frequent and more reliable services across the north of England, from Newcastle, Hull and York towards Manchester and Liverpool via Leeds. The route covers 76 miles of track, 8 tunnels, 15 viaducts, 25 stations and 270 bridges.
As a result of the long-term contract on TRU, Amey Consulting are looking to recruit across all of our Northern offices to support our design engineering team.
The right type of person to join our team would be:
Driven to produce highly technical and complex design solutions
Dedicated to a high-profile, long-term project
Customer-focused, giving attention to detail ensuring client satisfaction
Someone who values flexible working, ensuring a healthy work-life balance to suit every lifestyle
Enthusiastic and enjoys being a part of a diverse team
Interested in learning and mentoring opportunities
Focused on personal and professional development
What would you do?
- Demonstrate a thorough understanding of the design process, network rail’s technical approvals process and engineering management
- Ability to check design work for Civil and Structural Design elements of projects and act as an approver
- Approve designs to ensure all contractual requirements have been satisfied to a level that complies with NR, RSSB and British standards
- Keep up to date with current NR, RSSB and British standards
- Brief Civil and structural design teams on contractual requirements and standards/workscopes
- Manage the Civil and Structural elements of a complete project
- Plan and lead multi-disciplinary surveys
- Communicate effectively with the client, attend client meetings and respond professionally to client feedback/DRNs
- Understand the interfaces between all railway disciplines and how these are managed
- Be able to recognise changes to the scope, that will affect cost and programme; and be able to quantify these changes, be aware of process for reporting the change to the project manager
- Communicate effectively with other design/construction disciplines and sub-contractors and attend IDC meetings
- Ensure work is undertaken to programme and budget
- Undertake high complexity design cost estimates and assist with bid development work
- Act as SCE / DE for UK Spec IEng/CEng
- Prepare high level reports and feasibility studies
- Have a working knowledge of BIM and be able to assist others in the use of BIM
What are we looking for?
- Achieved CEng / IEng status (or equivalent)
- Significant relevant experience, confirmed using the authority to work process
- Manage CDM/CSM/risk analyses and attend HAZID workshop
- Experienced in the role of CEM in accordance with Network Rail’s processes
- Expert in the use of the design software in the discipline and also mentor others
Fundamental to living our core values is having great people in our business. That's why we believe that Amey is only as great as the people we employ.
We are an equal opportunities employer and place great value on our people and the contribution they make to our business, that’s why we aim to offer a competitive benefits package to all our employees. We can also offer a flexible work week to suit a healthy work-life balance.
Working for Amey you will receive a competitive salary and will be able to join our contributory pension scheme. In addition, you will be entitled to company sponsored life assurance and a generous holiday entitlement. You will also be invited to join Amey Choices which offers a range of flexible benefit options and offers additional benefits available throughout the year, including cycle to work and interest-free season ticket loan. All employees are also able to participate in our community involvement day to volunteer and make a difference in their community.
As a multidisciplinary, design and build organisation you will have the opportunity to work closely alongside internal construction and test colleagues as well as other design disciplines.