Senior Assistant Highways Engineer
SNC-Lavalin’s Atkins business is one of the world’s most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies. We build long-term trusted partnerships to create a world where lives are enriched through the implementation of new and exciting ideas. We have the vision to shape the future of transportation, to lead where others follow and to deliver the future of mobility today.
Atkins’ Transportation Division covers all aspects of multidisciplinary design and management from inception to options appraisal through to detailed scheme design and delivery support.
To continue our growth as we shape the future of transportation, we are looking for Highway Engineers with broad-ranging experience in highway design and delivery from Assistant to Senior Engineer level to join our Highways Practice in Birmingham or Nottingham.
Our Highways Practice is designing and delivering crucial highways projects in the Midlands and across the UK for Highways England, Local Highway Authorities and contractors. Our Midlands staff are shaping and driving industry-leading projects such as the A14 Cambridge to Huntingdon scheme, as well as delivering locally at the forefront of improving connectivity in thriving city centres such as Birmingham. We are also delivering significant highways packages for major rail improvements such as HS2 and East-West Rail. We have a strong pipeline and offer dynamic opportunities.
To continue our growth as we shape the future of transportation, we are looking for highway design engineers with broad-ranging experience in highway design and delivery from Assistant to Senior Engineer level to join our Highways Practice in Birmingham or Nottingham. We are proud to offer great projects, career development and excellent work-life balance to highways design engineers from convenient office locations in the West and East Midlands.
As a highways design engineer in our growing team, you will be a competent designer with proven ability who takes ownership and responsibility for design and delivery solutions, delivering to the highest technical standards and quality targets. We will value you and support you for going beyond to exceed expectations and deliver innovative solutions nobody else can. After all, we can’t achieve great things without you. So, you can look forward to fantastic rewards and development opportunities.
• You'll be responsible for providing robust technical design solutions that meet Client ambitions and exceed their expectations.
• You'll be responsible for producing design documentation for highway schemes, including sketches, drawings, calculations, reports and specifications to programme and budget.
• You'll be responsible for integrating safety in your behaviours and outputs, delivering on our safety values for clients.
• You’ll apply your highways design expertise for various multi-disciplinary projects in accordance with the Atkins Business Management System and in compliance with quality, safety and environmental standards.
• You’ll derive design solutions by drawing upon your expertise and collaborating across the business, using your excellent analytical skills to solve engineering problems and applying your engineering judgement to appraise and recommend options.
• You’ll stay abreast of industry developments and changes in standards; building excellent professional relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
• BEng / MEng or MSc degree in civil engineering or equivalent.
• Incorporated or Chartered status and membership of the ICE or CIHT, or able to demonstrate a pathway to chartered ship as part of your plan for this role.
• Experience of delivery for our key clients and an understanding of their requirements, e.g. Local Authorities, Highways England, Developers and/or Contractors.
• Able to demonstrate understanding of the Design Manual for Roads and Bridges (DMRB) and BIM, and their use in design.
• Able to demonstrate that you can contribute to design briefs and interpret these to deliver a suitable design, including an appreciation of safety considerations.
• Able to demonstrate an appreciation of health and safety requirements and how the Health and Safety at Work Act and the Construction Design and Management Regulations shape our outputs.
• Able to demonstrate that you are a resourceful problem solver and an excellent communicator with commercial awareness.