Senior Highways Engineer
Atkins is one of the world’s most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies. We build long term trusted partnerships to create a world where lives are enriched through the implementation of new and exciting ideas. Atkins has the vision to shape the future of transportation, to lead where others follow and to deliver the future of mobility today.
Atkins Transportation is the centre of excellence for the design of highway and rail infrastructure projects. We aim to be the first-choice designer for Highways England, Network Rail, Local Highway Authorities, contractors and developers. We are working on a number of high-profile projects and frameworks nationwide including our appointment as Delivery Integration Partner for the North and South-East under Highways England’s Routes to the Market framework, the A14 Cambridge to Huntingdon upgrade and the Smart Motorways Programme.
We are looking for a Senior Highway Engineer with broad-ranging experience in the technical delivery of highways projects to join our Highways Practice in the North East/Yorkshire. Experience of successfully leading design teams in the delivery of Design and Build projects would be an advantage. You will be responsible for leading the design of significant highways projects, delivering to the highest technical standards and quality targets. You will be an experienced Highway Engineer with proven ability who takes ownership and responsibility for design solutions. With offices in Newcastle, Stockton-on-Tees and Leeds, there is flexibility in where you will be based.
- Leading a multi-disciplinary team of engineers, technicians and other professionals to develop highway and engineering designs from concept through to detailed design and construction.
- Overseeing and reviewing the production of highway designs, models, calculations and drawings to DMRB and other relevant standards.
- Leading the highway design process and ensuring integration with associated environmental, geotechnical and structural engineering designs.
- Promoting the development of digital solutions and efficiencies in the highway design process and sharing best practice across the team for use on other projects.
- Determining and assigning highway design tasks and managing delivery to programme and budget.
- Leading the preparation of specifications; tender and contract documents and supporting the construction process.
- Encouraging the technical development of highways graduates and technicians in their knowledge of highway design.
- Ensuring compliance with business management standards set in the company’s quality, safety and environmental policies and procedures.
- Liaising with customers in a responsive and client-focused manner.
- Managing and developing stakeholder relationships to support the approval process with Highways England, Local Authorities and other key stakeholders.
- Acting as highway design lead with clients and key stakeholders including attendance at meetings, workshops and Public Consultation events etc.
- Preparation and presentation of progress and technical reports for discussion at the client and key stakeholder meetings.
- Supporting the project manager with the development of design solutions and the management of the project, including supervision duties.
- Delivering projects to a high quality on time and to budget
- Operating project processes such as risk management and change control.
- Instigate and maintain business management systems and compilation of associated project-specific documentation.
- Mentoring and supporting the development of graduates and technicians.
- Able to work and integrate into multi-disciplinary teams and work independently.
- Support in the process of bidding and winning work.
- Chartered Engineer and Member of a Professional Institution (relevant discipline)
- Experience of working on Highways England or Local Authority highway design projects.
- Experience of the current Highways England standards and conversant with the DMRB and Construction Design Management Regulations (CDM).
- Ability to design all aspects of highways from conceptual layout to detailed design.
- Experience of design interfaces (e.g. geotechnical, environmental, structural, transport planning etc.)
- Familiarity with 3D design tools.
- Ability to prepare reports and collate specifications from all parties to the project and to collect other data and statistics necessary for the preparation of progress and technical reports.
- Ability to develop and agree on project scopes and manage budgets, programmes and quality of deliverables.
- Ability to manage the internal technical supply chain (e.g. geotechnical input), including budgets, programme and quality of deliverables.
- Identify and respond to our clients’ values in a competitive market sector. Candidates are required to be self-motivated and able to work both independently as well as within a larger multi-discipline team in leading and managing packages of work to completion, within budget and to programme.
- Ability to research information and data independently and ability to corroborate facts required for the resolution of contractual problems and disputes.
- Proficient in all Microsoft Office software particularly MS Excel and Word.
- Proven ability to deliver work within set timeframes and contribute to a good working environment.
- Experience of stakeholder management, e.g. liaison with utility companies, Local Authorities, statutory bodies (e.g. Environment Agency) etc.
- Experience in developing and agreeing to scopes and managing the internal supply chain, including budgets, programme and quality of deliverables.
- Proficient in software such as AutoCAD, Civil 3D, MX and Micro Drainage.
- Flexibility for occasional periods working away from normal office location, including overseas.
- Awareness of the regulatory framework associated with planning and approval regulations/processes, together with the experience of managing a highway project through the planning process.
- Experience of site, construction contracts and site management.
- Excellent interpersonal, organisational and communication skills both verbally and in writing
- A hard-working and flexible individual, a team player, who has great attention to detail, is reliable, shows initiative and is proactive and is able to deliver to set deadlines.
- Be available to travel across the UK and work occasionally away from home, including periods overseas on assignments.
- Confident and professional manner.
- Be well organised with good time management skills. Works to deadlines with minimal supervision.
- Ability to prioritise tasks and maintain a focus on agreed targets.
- Good team working skills and the ability to communicate effectively at all levels.
- Supportive and encouraging approach to mentoring less experienced members of the team.
- Ability to adapt to different cultures and working environments to build rapport with clients and the whole project team.
- Good leadership qualities.
- Customer focused with excellent relationship management skills.
- Worked for both private and public sector clients and appreciate the different drivers and approach to management and procurement.
- Hold a valid UK driving licence.
We encourage career progression and there is the opportunity to further develop your career. We would expect to work with you in developing your career aspirations through staff appraisal, offering a range of opportunities and appropriate training designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.