Assistant Project Manager
TfL is responsible for some of the highest profile, most complex and diverse infrastructure work in the UK. Our projects keep a world city moving for 8.6 million people and we do this through our teams of talented people.
TfL delivers critical portfolios of projects to make journeys better for our customers. Our projects vary from enhancing our stations, trains, tracks and signals to major signalling programmes so we can run more trains per hour. Our core values of delivering safely, reliably and affordably are at the heart of every project. People are the key to our success and by making sure we share knowledge, skills and expertise across our programmes we enhance both your career and how we deliver for London.
We are now looking for talented Assistant Project Managers to join us across various TfL capital investment directorates including Renewals, Enhancements and Major Projects. You will assist with the day-to-day management of external contractors/suppliers and support the implementation of projects. This includes management of TfL obligations and of InfraCo contractors, Private Finance Initiative (PFI) suppliers, or other third party partners, to ensure delivery of projects on behalf of TfL, meeting the needs of its customers.
- Making day-to-day decisions to help resolve project issues
- Undertaking local level management resolution within a level of authority and advancing to management as appropriate
- Handling the collection, collation and interpretation of data
- Researching alternatives to current methods and suggesting opportunities for continuous improvement to project management processes
- Analysis of data and making decisions where appropriate or providing recommendations
- Identifying standard methodology and risk management suggestions and raising with management as appropriate
- Maximising effectiveness of day-to-day relationships with operational colleagues
- Prepare performance/progress reports for both internal and external reviews
- Project management tools and techniques (Essential)
- Risk management and planning processes (Highly desirable)
- Contractual issues in a project environment (Desirable)
- Financial control and procurement processes and techniques (Desirable)
- Degree in (for example) business, engineering, or equivalent (Desirable)
- Safety issues in an infrastructure environment (Desirable)
- Analyse complex data, draw conclusions and produce reports (Essential)
- Build effective working relationships, with people at all levels across the organisation and externally (Essential)
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, with people at all levels across the organisation and externally (Highly desirable)
- Plan and manage tasks to time, budget and quality (Desirable)
- Use Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel) to basic level (Desirable)
- Working on contracts/projects in a commercial environment particularly relating to projects of £250,000+ in value (either as an individual or as a member of a team with specific areas of responsibility) (Essential)
- Building effective working relations with people at all levels across an organisation and externally (Essential)
- Working in a team-based service environment (Essential)
- Aiding in the making of day-to-day decisions project issues (Highly desirable)
- Analysis of projects data (Highly desirable)
In return for your dedication and expertise, you will enjoy excellent benefits and scope to grow. Rewards vary according to the business area and role, but may include:
- Final salary pension scheme
- Free travel for you on the TfL network
- A 75% discount on National Rail Season Ticket and interest-free loan
- Minimum of 29 days’ annual leave plus public holidays
- Private healthcare discounted scheme – optional
- Tax-efficient cycle-to-work programme
- Retail, health, leisure and travel offers including discounted Eurostar travel
You will need to supply your CV and a one page covering letter.
To apply, please visit our website.
Closing date: 29 September 2019 @ 23:59.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age or disability status.