Senior Drainage Engineer
1 day left
- Full Time
Join our cross-sector Transportation team and you’ll help us deliver innovative solutions to the biggest transportation challenges in the UK and beyond. You’ll turn ideas into reality with the award-winning engineering consultancy behind smart motorways and intelligent transport and you’ll improve the everyday lives of millions of people. So, help us move the world forward, one step at a time. This is your time to make a difference.
We are looking for a Senior Transportation Drainage Engineer with broad-ranging experience in highways and/or rail drainage design to join our Transportation team in either Manchester or Warrington.
You will play a key role in the development and delivery of major transportation projects for our key clients such as Highways England, Network Rail, local authorities and design and build contractors. You will be responsible for delivering the drainage design on multi-disciplinary civil engineering projects and supporting the leadership and development of our drainage capability.
To ensure the technical delivery of drainage designs for our projects, your responsibilities will include:
- Leading the design of highway or rail drainage designs from concept to detailed design and construction, as stand-alone projects or as part of larger multi-disciplinary schemes.
- The development of sustainable drainage designs including balancing/ infiltration ponds, soakaways, attenuations tank systems etc.
- Promoting the development of digital solutions in drainage design including full integration of designs within the BIM environment.
- Working collaboratively with a multi-disciplinary team of engineers, technicians and other professionals.
- Overseeing and reviewing the production of drainage designs, models, calculations and drawings to relevant standards, including providing technical assurance of designs.
- Leading the co-ordination of the drainage design process and integrating with associated highways, rail, environmental, geotechnical and structural engineering designs.
- Determining and assigning drainage design tasks and managing delivery to programme and budget.
- Leading and encouraging the technical development of graduates and technicians in the drainage discipline.
- Managing and reviewing specifications; tender and contract documents and supporting the construction process.
- Ensuring compliance with business management standards set in the company’s quality, safety and environmental policies and procedures.
- Managing and developing stakeholder relationships to support the development of the drainage design and consents process.
- Acting as drainage interface for clients and key stakeholders including attendance at meetings.
- Preparation and presentation of progress and technical reports for discussion at the client and key stakeholder meetings.
- Leading the drainage discipline locally to develop and enhance the drainage design capability within the local team.
- Leading drainage designs, managing the interface and providing technical assurance for drainage designs produced in our Global Design Centre.
- Championing the role of drainage within a multi-disciplinary project.
- Delivering projects to a high quality on time and to budget.
- Operating project processes such as risk management and change control.
- Instigating and maintaining business management systems and compilation of associated project-specific documentation.
- Mentoring and supporting the development of engineers, graduates and technicians in the field of drainage design.
- Able to work collaboratively and integrate into multi-disciplinary teams or work independently.
- Ability to research information and data independently to support problem-solving and develop solutions to complex drainage design issues.
- Providing technical input to the preparation of bids including the provision of Quality Submission responses on drainage strategy and design approach and input to a price via preparation of fee proposals and associated programme for delivery including assessment of risk.
- Chartered Civil Engineer and Member of a Professional Institution.
- Experience of leading the drainage design on Highways England, Local Authority or Network Rail projects.
- Experience of the current standards (DMRB / Network Rail) and Construction Design and Management Regulations (CDM).
- Ability to design all aspects of drainage from conceptual layout to detailed design.
- Experience of design interfaces (e.g. highways, rail, geotechnical, environmental, structural etc.)
- Familiarity with 3D design tools and BIM.
- Ability to prepare reports and specifications and to collect other data and statistics necessary for the preparation of progress and technical reports.
- Ability to research information and data independently and communicate findings coherently.
- Proficient in all Microsoft Office software particularly MS Excel and Word.
- Proficient in hydraulic modelling software such as Micro Drainage.
- Proficient in AutoCAD / Civil3D or similar.
- Knowledge of the regulatory framework associated with planning and approval regulations/processes, together with the experience of managing a transportation drainage project through the planning process.
- Experience of construction contracts and supervision of drainage works on site.
- Ability to identify and respond to our clients’ values in a competitive market sector. Candidates are required to be self-motivated and able to work both independently as well as within a larger multi-disciplinary team in leading and managing packages of work to completion.
- Ability to identify, manage and develop project scopes and manage budgets, programmes and the quality of deliverables.
- Ability to inspire others and contribute to a good working environment.
- Experience of stakeholder management, e.g. liaison with utility companies, Local Authorities, statutory bodies (e.g. Environment Agency) etc.
- Excellent interpersonal, organisational and communication skills both verbally and in writing.
- A hard-working and flexible individual, a team player, who has great attention to detail, is reliable, shows initiative and is proactive and able to deliver to set deadlines.
- Enthusiastic about transportation drainage and its role within the civil engineering environment.
- Be available to travel across the UK and work occasionally away from home, including periods on overseas assignments.
- Confident and professional manner.
- Be well organised with good time management skills. Works to deadlines with minimal supervision.
- Ability to prioritise tasks and maintain a focus on agreed targets.
- Good team working skills and the ability to communicate effectively at all levels.
- A supportive approach to mentoring less experienced members of the team.
- Ability to adapt to different cultures and working environments to build rapport with clients and the whole project team.
- Good leadership qualities.
- Customer-focused with excellent relationship management skills.
- Experience in working for both private and public sector clients and knowledge of the different drivers and approaches to management and procurement.
- Hold a valid UK driving licence.
We encourage career progression within Atkins and would expect to work with you in developing your career aspirations through staff appraisal, offering a range of opportunities and appropriate training designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.