Highways: Senior Engineer
Our Transportation Division is currently seeking Senior Engineers in our Bristol office to support the delivery of a wide variety of multi-disciplinary highways projects primarily within Bristol, but also across the UK. Using your excellent people, technical and delivery skills, you’ll drive a variety of civil and structural designs for new build, renewal, maintenance and assessment works.
You’ll be part of one of the largest transportation consultancies in the UK, and a leading supplier of engineering services to government, regulatory and local authorities, infrastructure owners and operators. Major clients include Highways England, Various Local Authorities, Network Rail, London Underground, HS2, Train Operating Companies, Design & Build Contractors and other niche clients. Initially, you will be working on highway projects being delivered under the Local Authority Framework Contract that we have with Gloucestershire County Council. We are looking to grow our civil engineering/highways design and supervision capability in the region based in Gloucester, however, you will also have the opportunity to work on overseas projects and with our internationally based design teams.
You will have a background in civil engineering design and experience of delivery of a range of multi-disciplinary projects within highway environments. You’ll be familiar with working in large, geographically dispersed multidisciplinary design teams on projects at varying stages of development from feasibility to detailed design.
• Leading technical delivery of civil engineering projects / civil engineering input into multi-disciplinary projects.
• Using your excellent analytical skills to derive potential solutions to engineering problems and engineering judgement to appraise and recommend options.
• Act as Technical Lead or Technical Reviewer on projects.
• Overseeing completion of designs and the production of and review design documentation including sketches, drawings, calculations, reports and specifications.
• Staying abreast of industry developments and changes in standards.
• Ensuring the work produced is technically accurate and delivered in accordance with the appropriate standards.
• Developing more junior staff through technical training and mentoring. You’ll most likely be acting as a Delegated Engineer or Supervising Civil Engineer for those under formal training agreements.
• Working with and supporting multi-disciplinary global teams.
• Maintaining and developing excellent professional relationships which can secure repeat business.
• Presenting to clients and key stakeholders in a professional, responsive and client-focused manner.
• Client, programme and financial management of projects.
• Assisting with / preparing fee offers for agreement with the client.
• Assigning work to and checking/reviewing the project team’s work.
• Assisting the Regional Highways Manager and PMs to plan the delivery of portfolios.
• Working collaboratively across the Atkins Group.
• BEng / MEng or MSc degree in civil engineering or equivalent.
• Chartered / Incorporated status and corporate membership of the ICE, IHT or IStructE.
• Experience of working with our key clients, e.g. Local Authorities, Highways England, Network Rail, Developers and/or major Contractors.
• Ability to contribute to bids and tenders.
• Ability to develop and agree to scopes and manage the internal technical supply chain, including budgets, programme and quality of deliverable, delivering within the set time frame.
• Experience of developing strong and sustainable client relationships
• Good project management skills, commercial awareness, financial control and ability to deliver across a range of contract types. This will include an ability to manage stakeholders, e.g. specialist suppliers, independent checkers and local authorities.
• Commercially astute and an excellent communicator with the desire to take on extra management responsibilities and keep on developing your skills and our team.
• Knowledge of Project Governance and Development Processes for Highways England and / or Local Authorities.
• Good understanding of relevant design standards, including Eurocodes and those of Highways England and Manual for Streets.
• Ability to research information and data independently and ability to find solutions to complex problems.
• Sound interpersonal skills and ability to converse with a wide range of Clients and colleagues across a number of engineering disciplines.
• Excellent spoken and written English.
• A willingness to work flexibly from other office locations.
• Knowledge of business models adopted in the sector and commercial and technical risks.
• Experience of client engagement and business development activities.
• Positive and practical with experience of managing resources, mentoring engineers and inspiring multidisciplinary teams to exceed client expectations.
• Knowledge gained from working within a contractor and/or client organisation.
• Hold a valid UK driving licence.
• Experience of supervising highway works contracts