Asset Engineer (High Speed)
Network Rail High Speed is a wholly owned subsidiary of Network Rail Infrastructure Ltd, responsible for the operation and maintenance of the UK’s first European High Speed Railway, High Speed 1 (HS1).
We at Network Rail are dedicated to becoming one of Britain's best employers and believe this starts with placing the candidate at the heart of everything we do!
Our ambition to be responsive to passengers and freight users, drives us every day and we're empowered to do the right thing for those who use the rail network. We actively challenge unsafe practices and take responsibility for addressing risks, resolving issues and protecting safety and wellbeing.
We're passionate about great service and we ask ourselves, what can we do to put our passengers and freight users at the centre of everything we do? With this in mind, we pull together as one industry because we care about people and teamwork is key.
The Asset Engineering team manage the examination, inspection, and maintenance of HS1 civil engineering assets, including bridges, viaducts, retaining walls, tunnels, earthworks, drainage systems, off track assets and civil/structural elements of buildings to achieve our objective of being the most safe and reliable railway for our customers and staff.
To ensure that we are cost and time efficient in our asset management approach, the Asset Engineering team also investigate the use of new and emerging technologies, developing innovative tools and solutions with industry partners to assist in efficient daily maintenance operations of a High Speed railway.
- Confirm that examinations and inspections of HighSpeed1 civils assets are carried out in accordance with NR (High Speed) standards and procedures, by reviewing reports and site visits.
- Provide engineering input to the management of examinations of bridges, viaducts, retaining walls, tunnels, earthworks and buildings, and to the management of the inspections of drainage systems, access assets, gates and fences.
- Evaluate examination and inspection records and specify the maintenance work necessary to deliver NR (High Speed) goals.
- Develop routine maintenance schemes that meet NR (High Speed) goals. Support the development and implementation of schemes to verify that the requirements are sufficient, correctly interpreted and any changes made are agreed. Support the delivery team when necessary by supervision of site work.
- Specify and monitor the implementation of control measures where the proposed works are deferred.
- Develop a bank of maintenance work (including reactive where advised by track patrollers, operations staff, other engineering disciplines and others) and develop the budget for the HS1 civils maintenance works for approval by the Head of Civils & Environment Engineering.
- Manage the civils asset database including asset condition records. Monitor trends in asset condition. Maintain up to date documents and drawings of changes to civils assets.
- Input into civil engineering advice to the team and to other disciplines, including in structures, earthworks, tunnels, drainage and buildings, either directly or through external experts.
Job Skills, Experience and Qualifications
- Incorporated Engineer with appropriate experience covering the asset types being managed.
- HND or degree in civil or structural engineering.
- Experience in civil engineering.
- Knowledge of engineering policies and standards relating to structures, earthworks and tunnels.
- An understanding of safety management systems and risk assessment techniques.
- Some experience in the management of contractors and consultants and internal and external organisations.
- Experience in related fields such as structural engineering, geotechnical engineering or tunnelling.
Closing date: 25/08/2020. Late applications will not be accepted