Flood Forecasting Team Leader
Benefits: Civil Service pension, 28 days annual leave, rising to 33 days over 5 years, flexible working options, occupational health including counselling and advisory services and eye care, childcare vouchers and salary sacrifice schemes.
We are looking for an experienced flood or water management professional to lead our national Flood Forecasting team. This is an exciting opportunity to both deliver strategic improvements to our forecasting services as well as manage their operational delivery.
Natural Resources Wales has a statutory duty to provide a flood warning service to communities at risk of flooding in Wales. Our flood forecasting service makes a crucial contribution by informing the decisions we make on communicating developing flood risk to professional partners; issuing warnings to the public and operational management of our assets.
The Flood Forecasting team is responsible for delivering the flood forecasting service by:
- Defining policy and strategy;
- Undertaking river and coastal forecasting model development;
- Building and maintaining operational systems;
- Training and supporting 24/7 duty rotas.
The Team Leader will manage a team of flood forecasting specialists to continue the delivery of an effective, resilient, sustainable and professional flood forecasting service for locations at risk of river and coastal flooding across Wales.
They will lead the team to ensure our flood forecasting service is risk-based, efficient and tailored to the needs of internal customers, professional partners and local communities in Wales. They will also secure, maintain and improve the delivery of business-critical services we deliver in partnership with other UK flood agencies.
Over the next 5 years, the Team Leader will also oversee the strategic development of the service, drawing on lessons learnt from recent severe flooding, ensuring that the service continues to be resilient whilst incorporating technological advances, improvements in scientific understanding and improved communication of forecast confidence.
As well as managing the flood forecasting team, the Team Leader will be expected to contribute directly to our 24/7 flood forecasting and warning service delivery through joining our Monitoring and Forecasting Duty Officer rota. This rota provides a flood forecasting service for river and coastal flooding across Wales which is used to inform our flood warning decisions and our operational response on the ground.
Qualifications and Skills
- Relevant degree or equivalent technical knowledge and understanding gained from career experience relevant to the role.
- Experience of using flood forecasting services and systems during flood incidents or equivalent experience in flood or water management service delivery;
- Able to present complex information and summarise key business issues in a clear understandable form to senior managers and external stakeholders;
- Budget and project management skills suitable for managing, or making a significant contribution to capital and revenue projects related to real time model development, testing and post-event analysis;
- Experience of influencing the strategies and development plans of internal and external stakeholders;
- Able to demonstrate a personal mindset of continuous improvement and customer care;
- Strong interpersonal skills, including experience of establishing and maintaining strong networks across teams;
- Strong decision-making, analytical and problem-solving skills including identifying problems early, reviewing evidence, identifying gaps, developing solutions and consulting appropriately;
- Able to work independently, demonstrating innovation, initiative and an ability to develop, or be receptive to, new ideas and creative solutions;
- Experience of leading, managing, motivating, developing, coaching and mentoring staff including team management;
- Experience in use of specialist ICT applications, including flood forecasting systems.