Geotechnical Engineer Contracts Manager
Geomarine are the largest civil engineering contractor in the Channel Islands. Along with traditional civil engineering disciplines such as deep drainage, retaining structures, concrete works and utilities, we also provide slope stabilisation, piling, ground-investigation and marineworks, including commercial diving.
Based in Jersey, our purpose is to deliver world-class engineering locally. We achieve this by taking full control of quality using directly employed engineers and operatives, in-house design capability and, wherever possible, owned plant.
Our design capacity, and emphasis on engineering, allows a likeminded and professional interface with our clients and their consultants. All of which gives us exceptional control over quality and safety.
We employ more chartered, degree-educated, and specialist trained engineers and managers than any other local engineering contractor.
Geomarine are one year into a three-year growth plan concentrating on specialist areas. This growth has been expedited by our successful tendering of our largest contract to date with the Ports of Jersey to design and build new pontoons and associated infrastructure/support. Along with a five year term contract with Jersey Electricity, we have enviable stability in the usually irregular demands of contracting.
To be the single point of responsibility for ground engineering projects by leading a team of engineers, foremen and direct labour utilising predominantly owned plant and by effectively interacting with all stakeholders.
The successful candidate will directly manage projects varying from minor works up to £1-2m whilst consecutively managing similar projects via delegation to a team under their direct supervision. The following functions are required:
- Assess, control and report on health and safety risk and engineering risk
- To be a single point of responsibility for quality within the department
- Assess and control design, whether internal D&B or by interfacing with clients’ professional teams
- Produce risk assessment and method statements, training understudies in producing RAMS and approving those of others.
- Programming using Microsoft Project both of individual contracts and a departmental tracker ensuring effective planning of resource.
- Price and oversee the pricing of projects. This will include direct negotiations with clients and suppliers.
- Take a lead role, in conjunction with the commercial department, in all areas of cost control.
- To be a single point of responsibility to a range of clients
- Communicate clearly to, and form an effective part of, a senior leadership team consisting of directors and department heads
- Provide on the job training, coaching and mentoring to junior staff.
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate the skills common to senior operational roles such as:
- Leadership. You will inspire your team and lead by example
- Thinking clearly under pressure
- Analytical skills, in particular in relation to engineering challenges
- Communication skills that are adaptable to the broad range of stakeholders you will be dealing with
- Attention to detail
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
You will be, as a minimum, HNC/HND qualified and able to prove that you have progressed your career to a level where you are able to fulfil the responsibilities above.
You will have provable experience in leading teams and delivering projects taking full responsibility for health, safety and welfare, cost and quality.
Due to the seniority of the role, and the mentoring aspect required from you to your team, operational experience is imperative, ideally in a geotechnical or related field.
To find out more and apply for this post, please click on the apply button. Applicants are asked to provide a CV and a covering letter explaining their interest and suitability for this post