Lead Civil Structures Engineer
Celebrating Pride Month
As the Lead Civil Structures Engineer as HS2, you’ll be the technical expert who supports the Head of Civil Structures in ensuring compliance with all relevant legislative requirements and provides technical direction to all directly related civil engineering structures activities, setting standards, technical requirements and assurance processes for the discipline.
High level description of the role:
- Acts as HS2 technically competent person in their discipline and is the overall guiding mind in their technical competency
- Responsibility for ensuring that the HS2 railway (Phase One and 2) meets the Project Requirements for their technical functionality
- Contributes to set the standards, technical requirements and assurance processes for their discipline
HS2 Ltd endeavours to ensure everyone working for us and with us feels included, thrives and achieves their full potential. In practice, this means we are positive and inclusive about making adjustments, providing flexible working, encouraging our staff networks to flourish and providing personal and professional development opportunities.
About the role:
- Provide technical advice, control and assurance in relation to civil engineering structures and all related activities, including the provision of technical advice to designers, procurement and project management input of suppliers where necessary. Assure robustness of engineering input and ensure that the HS2 railway (Phase One and Phase 2) meets the Project Requirements for their technical functionality
- Ensure that the engineering design for civil engineering structures and associated structures on the HS2 Railway is configured and constructed in accordance with standards and technical requirements set by the Civil Engineering standards. Where necessary supports the development of new standards to support the delivery of the railway
- Provide technical leadership on civil engineering structures activities across the whole HS2 project to ensure an integrated, consistent approach to delivering the range of activities associated with the advisory and client role of the Technical Authority invested in the Infrastructure Directorate. Where necessary in conjunction with HS2 supporting financial and procurement teams, arrange for the input of specialist engineering consultants
- Ensure that the HS2 Technical Governance arrangements are followed, carry peer reviews and are make recommendations for improvements where necessary
- In conjunction with the engineering teams in Phase One and Phase 2 ensure that the developing design and construction of the railway meets the HS2 requirements or where necessary are appropriately dealt with in accordance with HS2 Governance Procedures
- Develop and implement the use of best practice and innovative engineering techniques, technologies and processes, driving consistency and identifying opportunities for efficiencies across Phase 1 and Phase 2 delivery teams
- Champion High Speed Rail and the HS2 Ltd programme and build and maintain strong relationships with stakeholders, relevant Government Departments, the public and other interested parties to gain their buy-in and input required to develop technical specifications
- Provide specialist technical advice and support the on-going community consultation process and environmental assessment along the whole route
- Contribute to the development of business strategy in the assigned business area and provide specialist guidance and advice to support business aims and control risks to the business in relation to its safety, reliability, operability and maintainability
- Represent HS2 at international & national level as required
- Manage budget and resource requirements over different stages of the HS2 project and carry out associated line management responsibilities for a diverse functional team
- Actively promote and embed Equality Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) in all your work, and support and comply with all organisational initiatives, policies and procedures on EDI
- Provides specialist technical support and leadership on all discipline-specific scientific, technical and engineering principles to those working directly with project development/delivery teams in area or phase.
- Ability to communicate most discipline-specific technical ideas to stakeholders and colleagues, based on examples of application.
- Understanding of general civil engineering design and construction processes with expert knowledge and design experience of civil structures.
- Applicable UK construction regulations including CDM requirements.
- Design experience on bridges, preferably supporting high speed rail, as well as culverts, retaining walls, cut-and-cover tunnels and other civil structures.
- Experience of managing competing project and engineering demands, with cost and schedule implications.
- It is expected that you will actively promote and embed Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) in all your work and support and comply with all organisational initiatives, policies and procedures on EDI.
We ask for a variety of detail in your online application, however we perform the first assessment of suitability for a role based solely on the information in your CV. Please attach an updated word version of your CV for each new application and include evidence directly related to the criteria in the job advert.
High Speed 2 (HS2 Ltd) will be the UK’s new high speed rail network. As well as improving capacity, the new scheme will shorten journey times between a number of Britain’s major population centres, boost the economy and create thousands of jobs.
HS2 Ltd will create a skills legacy and develop a diverse range of talent. We aim to be a leader in EDI practice by creating a safe & inclusive working environment for all our staff - living our values of Safety, Respect, Integrity and Leadership.
HS2 Ltd is also a safety-critical organisation. Employees are required to ensure reasonable care of their own and others’ health and safety by taking personal responsibility for working to our ‘Safe at Heart’ programme principles and following safe working procedures at all times.
To apply, please visit our website.
Closing date: 27 July 2021.