As the Lead Highways Engineer at HS2, you’ll provide technical leadership on highway and related engineering issues to support the safe, timely and economic delivery of the HS2 programme. You’ll also be responsible for providing guidance as Subject Matter Expert to those ensuring that all highway works are designed and constructed in accordance with the appropriate technical standards/specifications and that they have been subjected to appropriate levels of technical assurance.
HS2 Ltd endeavours to ensure everyone working for us and with us feels included, thrives and achieves their full potential. In practice, this means we are positive and inclusive about making adjustments, providing flexible working, encouraging our staff networks to flourish and providing personal and professional development opportunities.
About the role:
- Develop and maintain technical standards, guidance notes and specifications for the Highways discipline
- Review and approve departures where ‘owner’ of technical standards and specifications
- Assess the discipline-specific competencies of Senior Project Engineers (SPEs) and Project Engineers (PEs) in the development and delivery teams
- Support Subject Matter Leads in development and delivery teams technically assuring deliverables from the supply chain
- Provide guidance about highway matters to development and delivery teams across the HS2 programme
- Provide guidance to the supply chain about how to comply with the HS2 legislation when applying for consents and approvals from highway authorities
- Provide support to the Principal Designer for design activities associated with highway works
- Provide support to the Supervisor for construction activities associated with highway works
- Work with third parties, particularly highway authorities, in understanding their obligations under the HS2 legislation to develop effective and efficient ways of ensuring that highway works receive timely consents and approvals
- Assist the Corporate Communications team in responding to Parliamentary Questions, Freedom of Information requests and queries from stakeholders or the public on highway-related issues
- Liaise with the Department for Transport (DfT) on walking and cycling issues and represent HS2 Ltd on bodies such as the DfT’s Cycle & Walking Infrastructure Group (CWIG) and Cycle-Rail Working Group (CRWG)
- Liaise with other discipline leads in the management of road, public right of way and access interfaces across the HS2 programme
- Actively promote and embed Equality Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) in all your work, and support and comply with all organisational initiatives, policies and procedures on EDI
- Problem solving: Providing technical solutions to a wide range of difficult problems that are systematic, practicable and consistent with organisational objectives
- Civil engineering degree (or equivalent) coupled with Chartered Engineer status and membership of an appropriate engineering institution
- Understanding and practical application of the Design Manual for Roads and Bridges (DMRB), Manual of Contract Documents for Highway Works (MCHW) and other relevant local authority, national and/or international design standards and specifications used for highway works
- Experience in the design and construction of highway works
- Managing (either directly or ‘by influence’) designers and contractors in the delivery of highway or other civil engineering works
- Working with sponsors, regulatory bodies and other major stakeholders (e.g. highway authorities)
- It is expected that you will actively promote and embed Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) in all your work and support and comply with all organisational initiatives, policies and procedures on EDI
We ask for a variety of detail in your online application, however we perform the first assessment of suitability for a role based solely on the information in your CV. Please attach an updated word version of your CV for each new application and include evidence directly related to the criteria in the job advert.
High Speed 2 (HS2 Ltd) will be the UK’s new high speed rail network. As well as improving capacity, the new scheme will shorten journey times between a number of Britain’s major population centres, boost the economy and create thousands of jobs.
HS2 Ltd will create a skills legacy and develop a diverse range of talent. We aim to be a leader in EDI practice by creating a safe & inclusive working environment for all our staff - living our values of Safety, Respect, Integrity and Leadership.
HS2 Ltd is also a safety-critical organisation. Employees are required to ensure reasonable care of their own and others’ health and safety by taking personal responsibility for working to our ‘Safe at Heart’ programme principles and following safe working procedures at all times.
To apply, please click 'Apply' to visit our website.