We operate broad pay scales for all our roles to enable us to fulfil our commitments to inclusivity and career development. Final package is dependent on individual knowledge, skills and experience. In addition, we offer a range of competitive benefits - check them out in the Benefits section on our website.
As Senior Tunnel Engineer, you’ll support the Head of Tunnels Engineering in delivering compliance with all relevant legislative requirements and provides technical direction to all HS2 tunnels and underground construction activities (tunnels, shafts, adits/cross passages, underground boxes).
High level description of the role:
- Acts as a HS2 technically specialist person in their discipline
- Responsible for ensuring that the HS2 railway (Phases 1 and 2) meets the Project Requirements for their technical functionality
- Contributes to/sets the standards, technical requirements, specifications and technical assurance processes for their discipline.
HS2 Ltd endeavours to ensure everyone working for us and with us feels included, thrives and achieves their full potential. In practice, this means we are positive and inclusive about making adjustments, providing flexible working, encouraging our staff networks to flourish and providing personal and professional development opportunities.
About the role:
- As part of the HS2 Tunnels Core Team provide technical advice and assurance in relation to tunnels and underground construction and all related activities, including the provision of technical advice to designers, procurement and project management where necessary.
- Ensure that the tunnels and underground construction on the HS2 Railway is undertaken in accordance with technical requirements set by the Civil Engineering standards/specifications/procedures.
- As part of the HS2 Tunnels Core team provide technical leadership on tunnels and underground construction activities across the whole HS2 project (i.e. within HS2 Ltd and the supply chain) to ensure an integrated, consistent approach to delivering the range of activities associated with the advisory and client role of the Technical Authority invested in the Infrastructure Directorate..
- In conjunction with the engineering teams in Phase 1 and Phase 2 ensure that the developing design and construction of the railway meets/will meet the HS2 requirements.
- Promote the implementation of best practice and innovative engineering techniques, technologies and processes, driving consistency and identifying opportunities for efficiencies across Phases 1 & 2 delivery teams.
- Champion High Speed Rail and the HS2 Ltd programme and build and maintain strong relationships with the public (FOI requests) and other interested parties to gain their buy-in and input required to develop technical specifications.
- Provide specialist technical advice and support to community consultation processes and environmental assessments along the whole route.
- Contribute to the development of business strategy in the assigned business area and provide specialist guidance and advice to support business aims and contribute to control risks to the business in relation to its safety, reliability, operability and maintainability.
- Represent HS2 at a national & International level as required.
- Develop project functional requirements, specifications and standards in collaboration with colleagues where these relate to underground engineering.
- Actively promote and embed Equality Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) in all your work, and support and comply with all organisational initiatives, policies and procedures on EDI.
- Ensure that the engineering design for HS2 tunnels and associated underground structures is configured and designed & constructed in accordance with standards & technical requirements set by the HS2 Civil Engineering standards
- Provides specialist discipline-specific technical support to project development/delivery and procurement & commercial teams.
- Chartered Engineer with engineering degree or equivalent/Membership of an appropriate professional institution.
- Understanding of general civil engineering design and construction processes with knowledge of tunnels and underground construction.
- Experience in a similar role in the design of major underground structures including station, tunnels and major retaining structures.
- Experience in managing tunnels and underground construction on large complex, major, multi-disciplinary projects acting as designer, contractor and (or) client.
- It is expected that you will actively promote and embed Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) in all your work and support and comply with all organisational initiatives, policies and procedures on EDI.
We ask for a variety of detail in your online application, however we perform the first assessment of suitability for a role based solely on the information in your CV. Please attach an updated word version of your CV for each new application and include evidence directly related to the criteria in the job advert.
High Speed 2 (HS2 Ltd) will be the UK’s new high speed rail network. As well as improving capacity, the new scheme will shorten journey times between a number of Britain’s major population centres, boost the economy and create thousands of jobs.
HS2 Ltd will create a skills legacy and develop a diverse range of talent. We aim to be a leader in EDI practice by creating a safe & inclusive working environment for all our staff - living our values of Safety, Respect, Integrity and Leadership.
HS2 Ltd is also a safety-critical organisation. Employees are required to ensure reasonable care of their own and others’ health and safety by taking personal responsibility for working to our ‘Safe at Heart’ programme principles and following safe working procedures at all times.
To apply, please visit our website.
Closing date: 8 October 2021.