TNEI is looking to recruit a motivated and enthusiastic Principal or Senior Civil Engineer to join our Environment and Engineering team working on energy related projects.
TNEI is a specialist, vibrant consulting company that has been at the forefront of providing expert technical advice to electricity network companies, renewable energy developers, regulators, and funding institutions all over the world for more than 20 years. By nurturing the top talent in the energy industry we’ve built a solid reputation of developing innovative solutions and solving complex problems associated with achieving net zero. We offer a fast-paced environment with excellent career development opportunities. Join us and become part of the net zero energy revolution.
We are looking for a civil engineer to help grow our Civils & Geotechnical (C&G) offering and assist with the delivery of civil engineering related works for renewable energy and low carbon projects, including, but not limited to, ground investigations, structural design of minor works, traffic and transport assessments, site layout designs, employers requirements documents etc.
Our C&G workstream is part of the wider Environmental and Engineering team, which assists developers in taking energy projects from conceptual ideas through to consenting, buildable assets and providing support through their operational lifetime. We have successfully offered civils and geotechnical services with a small team for several years and now want to grow that team to meet the requirements of a buoyant renewable energies market. This is an opportunity to help lead that growth in an exciting time for renewables.
Duties and responsibilities, depending on grade, will include:
- Lead our C&G offering, including line management of staff.
- Managing the preparation of proposals, including commercial aspects, and undertake business development to promote the team’s services.
- Undertaking feasibility and site assessment work.
- Preparation of ES chapters for inclusion in Environmental Impact Assessments (EIAs);
- Project management.
- General support to Project Managers who have a project with Civil Engineering aspects.
- Production of desk-based studies (e.g. mining risk, geotechnical, geo-environmental etc)
- Specifying and managing site investigation works.
- Preparation of transport studies (e.g. swept path analysis, traffic management plans, impact assessments etc.);
- Preparation of minor works designs e.g. switchgear building designs, reinforced concrete designs, remedial works etc.;
- Delivering projects to a high level of technical competency.
- Defining and managing work scopes for sub-contractors.
- Peer review of documents prepared within the team (Quality Assurance).
- Identify and record risks within projects, communicating regularly with the project team.
- Manage own time and deliver projects on time and to budget.
- Discharge the role of Designer and/or Principal Designer in accordance with CDM regs.
Essential requirements include:
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering, or a related subject
- Chartered Civil Engineer or working towards chartered status
- Experience of working in a consultancy environment
- Experience of preparing and managing ground investigation works
- Experience of preparing and managing transport related assessments
- Experience of preparing specifications and managing sub-contractors.
- Understanding of project health and safety requirements and the ability to take responsibility for the health and safety of themselves and others
- A desire to help expand our C&G offering both through business development and recruitment.
- A drive to deliver quality work in a timely and efficient manner
- Ability to solve problems using novel techniques and methods
- An understanding of commercial aspects and the need to deliver best value
- Ability to explain engineering concepts in a clear and concise manner to technical and non-technical audiences
- Strong IT skills, including the use of AutoCAD
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- The right to work in the UK
- Full UK Driving license
- Master’s degree in a relevant subject
- Experience working in the UK renewable energy and low carbon sector
- An understanding of the regulatory landscape within the energy sector
- An understanding of the challenges facing the renewable energy sector over the next few years.
- Relevant health and safety qualifications e.g. IOSH, NEBOSH etc.
- Experience of delivering hydrological related work e.g. flood risk assessments, SUDs designs etc.
Based in our Glasgow office although we would consider basing this position in our Newcastle or Dublin office for the right candidate. Some travel would be required throughout the UK including visits to client offices, project sites and other TNEI offices.
WHY SHOULD YOU APPLY?
- The opportunity to work in an exciting and growing sector on a wide range of consultancy projects
- The opportunity to work in a relaxed and friendly environment
- Training and development/CPD opportunities
- Discretionary annual performance-based bonus
- Company contributory pension scheme
- Private medical insurance
- A competitive salary
- Other benefits including cycle to work scheme.
Competitive and based on experience.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send your CV and cover letter explaining why you are suitable for the role, and any previous experience to email@example.com.
Applications will close on at midday on Monday 4th October 2021 with interviews taking place shortly afterwards.
EQUALITY, DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION
TNEI promotes equal opportunities and supports suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, pregnancy or maternity/paternity.