Civil Engineer - Forestry Service
Your new company
Forestry England are currently seeking a Civil Engineer to join their East England Forest District team
on a temporary agency contract for up to 12 months.
The temporary district Civil Engineer (CE) will work as part of a small civil engineering team covering East England Forest District, based out of the district's head office at Santon Downham, Brandon, Suffolk.
East England Forest District covers an area of 35,000 ha from North Norfolk to Brighton. The district's woodlands are varied and range from the conifer plantations of Thetford Forest to the Ancient woodlands of the South East and the community woodlands of Thames Chase on the outskirts of London. The woodlands are important for timber production and conservation, with a large proportion of the landholding designated a Site
of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI) and offer opportunities for a wide range of recreation, from the informal use of open access woodland to the adventurous play and trails at three Forest Centres at Bedgebury, Wendover and High Lodge.
Your new role
You will be assisting the team in planning and delivering civil engineering projects in a forestry environment, including the construction, inspection and maintenance of civil engineering and recreation assets such
as forest roads, recreational trails, play and car parks. The CE will be involved in all aspects of civil engineering delivery, including providing technical advice to local colleagues, planning and design, and the supervision of delivery through contractors. The role will also include the inspection of civil engineering assets including bridges, reservoirs, dams, forest roads and play structures.
Your main role responsibilities will involve;
- Planning and delivering projects including design, contractor engagement (through existing framework contract), pre-commencement meetings, works monitoring, payment authorisation, works completion and sign off.
- Managing and supporting the Civil Engineering team's Works Supervisors
- Asset inspections
- Developing project briefs and budgeting
- Monitor contractor adherence to the contract terms and specification, quality and H&S standards.
- Ensure that CDM (CDM 2015) roles are clearly documented, understood and fulfilled
What you'll need to succeed
The role will involve daily travel within the district with occasional nights away to meet early appointments or attend national meetings
- HNC/HND in Civil Engineering (or equivalent field). Desirable - Site Management Safety Training Scheme (SMSTS) certificate.
- experience in Civil Engineering including works planning, design and contract
- Experience in Project Management and working to NEC 3/4 contracts
- Experienced in the safe design and delivery of projects, including responsibilities
under CDM. Candidates should possess experience of current construction health and
What you'll get in return
In addition to a competitive rate and excellent team environment, you'll receive an excellent working environment with reimbursed travel expenses for travel as part of your role!
What you need to do now
If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now' to forward an up-to-date copy of your CV, or call us now.
If this job isn't quite right for you but you are looking for a new position, please contact us for a confidential discussion on your career.