MEP Digital Engineer/BIM Coordinator (Pre-Construction Phase)
Location - Leeds
Laing O'Rourke's 2025 Mission to become the recognised leader for innovation and excellence in the construction industry is driven by innovation and with technical excellence in design, manufacturing and construction at its core.
This role provides exciting opportunities to utilise your experience in MEP Digital Engineering / BIM in new ways to support how we win work, develop the processes we use to deliver work, and promoting collaboration and digitalisation agendas within CHt (part of Laing O'Rourke). This role is ideal for MEP Digital Engineers / BIM professionals looking for something different to broaden their skills and connections within the industry. This is a role in which you can make a real difference, adding value in many different ways including influencing the way the CHT DE team work.
In this role you will be focusing on the preconstruction/tendering phase of CHt (part of Laing O'Rourke) projects
Core Roles and Responsibilities
You will work closely with CHt's Principle MEP Digital Engineer (Process and Tenders) to assist with a diverse range of activities including:
- Pricing / Resource estimates for MEP Digital Engineering services
- Interpreting and advising on BIM requirements (EIRs, BEPs etc)
- Design model reviews
- Exploratory modelling and visualisations
- Support early MEP Digital Engineering activities prior to handover to CHt's MEP Digital Engineering delivery team
- Exemplar modelling for the benefit of our Design Partners (e.g. typical worst-case corridor module setting out)
- Supporting development of model families/content for any non-standard cases
- Assist with brainstorming, designing and documenting best practices to enhance the CHt Digital Engineering Operating Model
- Models, sketches and diagrams to support best-practice guides
- Assist with writing Invitation to Tender letters and Scope of Works documents for work being outsourced to BIM bureaus on the CHt DE Supply Chain
- Assess tender returns for inclusions, exclusions, fees
- Support the use of technology platforms on projects (e.g. BIM360, BIMCollab etc)
- Learn and develop new ways to bring value to the MEP Digital Engineering team using technology (e.g. Solibri for rule based checking of 3D models)
- Be involved in R&D trials of new technologies coming in the future
- Developing ways to manage BIM data throughout all project stages from design to handover.
The role brings you in to contact with a wide variety of other roles within the business including bid teams, estimators, DfMA engineers, project managers, commercial leaders, design managers, external design partners, Digital Engineering services suppliers, business executives and clients. You will get a well-rounded understanding of how projects work from initial opportunity to DfMA manufacturing to handover of COBie data.
- Previous experience of using Revit for MEP coordination and drawing production (BSRIA Stage 4c/4iii & 5)
- Ideally, experience of working (directly or indirectly) for an MEP contractor (manufacturer and installer). Those with experience working for MEP Design Consultants will be considered if high levels of coordination to BSRIA Stage 4b / 4(ii) can be deomonstrated.
- A good knowledge of BIM, including BEP's, LOD requirements, and importance of clash detection and model interrogation.
- Ideally, experience of producing installation and offsite manufacture drawings
- Experience in verbally and visually presenting to others
Don't match all the criteria? We are open and always happy to hear from people with transferable skill sets and a commitment to learning.
We are an international engineering and construction company delivering state-of-the-art infrastructure and buildings projects for clients in the UK, Middle East and Australia.
Certainty, reliability, quality - this is what our clients want. And at Laing O'Rourke, we have more than 150 years of experience delivering it.
Laing O'Rourke's story is one of energy, passion, ambition, people and teamwork. We harness the power of our experience, stretching back over a century and a half to deliver certainty for our clients.
Diversity & Sustainability:
We value and care about difference at Laing O'Rourke and believe a diverse team drives innovation.
We are a global multicultural business committed to the inclusion of all employees, enabling everyone to feel accepted, respected & valued for being themselves.
We have set out far-reaching global sustainability targets including a commitment to achieve equal numbers of men and women amongst our global staff by 2033. For more information, please visit: https://www.laingorourke.com/company/sustainability/diversity/
We want to ensure our recruitment process is accessible to all. If you need the application form in an alternative format or you would like to know more about our recruitment process, please email