Who We Are
The Useful Simple Trust (UST) is a family of professional design and consultancy practices. Our 60+ talented and committed engineers, architects, designers and strategists work side-by-side creating positive outcomes for our changing environment.
Our four practices Expedition Engineering, Useful Projects, Useful Studio and Thomas Matthews share space, ideas and experience, and regularly collaborate on a range of high-profile projects in the UK and internationally. Our breadth of experience gives us a depth of inter-disciplinary thinking rarely found in the industry.
As a Social Enterprise, B Corp™ and Employee Benefit Organisation we do things differently. Our people are highly motivated and committed because our structure and values mean that our combined success is shared equitably. We share part of our profit and re-invest the rest in research, social and environmental projects.
Expedition is an award-winning engineering consultancy and has a rapidly growing pipeline of work offering innovation consulting in the infrastructure and construction sector – with a client list including HS2, Network Rail, Graham, Mace and Innovate UK - and we are looking to expand our team. We work as an innovation partner to our clients, developing innovation strategies, leading Tiger Team study projects, and guiding the delivery of innovations in practice.
We deliver purposeful projects that we believe have a sustainable impact on our clients and the wider human environment. We are focused on the sector’s biggest challenges around productivity, resource efficiency and the climate emergency. We use research methods from both physical and social sciences combined to undertake whole system analysis. We use a range of idea generation techniques recognising the importance of neurodiversity in both creating and evaluating options. Our in-house team includes experts with backgrounds in sustainability, structural and civil engineering, environmental engineering, construction, digital technology and practical innovation delivery. We work collaboratively with a network of academics and practitioners to augment our skill set.
What we are looking for
We are looking for the next generation of Engineering talent that will help us develop solutions in an industry that is increasingly automated. You would be part of a small team and have the opportunity to work on a wide range of projects, from city-wide masterplans through to parks and public realm projects including educational, arts and leisure, commercial and residential developments.
You will have between 3-5 years post-graduation design experience with the ability to think through complex problems and embrace creative and appropriate solutions. You will have a strong tool building capability and working towards becoming a Senior Engineer.
We are also hiring a Graduate Civil Engineer and a Senior Graduate engineer, please follow the link to our vacancies page to apply.
The successful candidate will also have the following core experience:
- Technical design and specification of key infrastructure systems including highways, energy, water, flood mitigation and drainage
- Digital design and systems optimisation tools such as parametric earth movement modelling and information systems and 3D modelling
- Environmental analysis of site masterplans and environmental design of buildings
- Defining briefs, developing strategies and undertaking feasibility studies in response to client needs
- Energy assessments and infrastructure strategies to support planning applications and compliance
Our ideal candidate will have a sound technical base with good knowledge of relevant infrastructure-adoptable standards, and an ability to adapt and work with other relevant international standards and practices. They will also have;
- Strong analytical and research skills
- Experience in negotiating with Statutory Authorities
- Strong IT skills along with an ability to interpret and work with maps, plans and drawings
- Experience of design software commonly used in the design of infrastructure associated with building-based projects. This could include Autodesk Civil 3D, AutoCAD, Revit, Micro- Drainage/WinDES etc.
- Experience of design software used in energy and environmental analysis (IES VE, JPA SAP, Ladybug, Honeybee, DIVA, EnergyPlus etc.)
- Experience of 3D parametric modelling such as Rhino/Grasshopper
- Awareness of BIM and its application on projects
- A good understanding of sustainable development practice
- The ability to work both individually and as part of a multidisciplinary team whilst taking responsibility for the quality of their work
- The ability to liaise directly with clients, architects and other parties in the project’s professional team
- The ability to communicate confidently and to be able to adapt their approach to suit the specific situation
Professional qualifications and core knowledge are expected to include:
- BSc (or equivalent) in Civil Engineering
- Membership of an appropriate professional body such as ICE, CIBSE, IMechE, IStructE, CIWEM (or similar) and ideally be chartered or working towards chartership
- A wide grounding in, and understanding of, the innovation challenges facing the construction sector
- Knowledge in one or more of the following areas: construction/contracting, engineering design, manufacturing/fabrication, environment and sustainability, innovation management and delivery
- Some experience in AutoCAD/ Civil 3d (Roadworks, drainage and earthworks)
- Basic knowledge of Revit would be desirable
- Enthusiastic person, who takes pride in his/ her work
- Good Civils background
- Great eye for detail
- Proactive person who enjoys working on challenging jobs
- Flexible, organised and good communicator
- Production of accurate, high quality drawings
- Proactive approach
- Team player, we encourage our people to work together
- Good sense of humour
- Passionate about building a better future
What we offer
- Competitive salary
- Comprehensive pension scheme
- Flexible working including 9-day fortnight scheme
- Private medical insurance with access to WeCare 24/7 GP access
- Life Assurance
- Cycle to work scheme
This vacancy closes on 3rd December 2021. Should your application be shortlisted for interview, you will be contacted within 10 days of the closing date. Due to the volume of applicants, only shortlisted candidates may be contacted.
This application may require applicants to respond to a few selection criteria to demonstrate suitable competencies and experience against the role. In addition, a form of assessment or presentation following the first interview may be requested. Any reasonable adjustments required will be met.
Useful Simple Trust is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.