Who We Are
The Useful Simple Trust (UST) is a family of professional design and consultancy practices. Our 60+ talented and committed engineers, architects, designers and strategists work side-by-side creating positive outcomes for our changing environment.
Our four practices Expedition Engineering, Useful Projects, Useful Studio and Thomas Matthews share space, ideas and experience, and regularly collaborate on a range of high-profile projects in the UK and internationally. Our breadth of experience gives us a depth of inter-disciplinary thinking rarely found in the industry.
As a Social Enterprise, B-Corp™ and Employee Benefit Organisation, we do things differently. Our people are highly motivated and committed, in part because our structure and values mean that our combined success is shared equitably. We share part of our profit and re-invest the rest in research, social and environmental projects. We deliver purposeful projects that we believe have a sustainable impact on our clients and the wider human environment. We are particularly focused on the sector’s biggest challenges around productivity, resource efficiency and the climate emergency.
Expedition Engineering is an award-winning engineering consultancy and has a rapidly growing pipeline of work offering innovation consulting in the infrastructure and construction sector – with a client list including HS2, Network Rail, Graham, Mace and Innovate UK - and we are looking to expand our team. We work as an innovation partner to our clients, developing innovation strategies, leading Tiger Team study projects, and guiding the delivery of innovations in practice.
We use a range of idea generation techniques, recognising the importance of neurodiversity in both creating and evaluating ideas. Our in-house team includes experts with backgrounds in sustainability, structural and civil engineering, environmental engineering, construction, digital technology and practical innovation delivery. We also work collaboratively with a network of academics and practitioners to augment our skill set.
Our key workstreams in innovation include:
- Delivering a transformative low carbon programme with a major infrastructure client; Roll out of common elements of design.
- Accelerating industrialised bridge construction, as exemplified through our innovative AVA pedestrian bridge.
- Delivering a game changing productivity strategy for a major programme of capital works.
- Developing new methods of delivering and scaling innovations after pilot stage.
What we are looking for
We are looking for multiple Innovation Engineers (up to Associate level) to join our team growing team. We are actively seeking Innovation Engineers with 4 or more years’ experience including with Innovation projects, we offer excellent career development opportunities whilst working closely with our key clients. As a key member of the team, you will play an important role in the planning and delivery of innovation projects. You will utilise your technical knowledge and experience of infrastructure engineering projects to identify and develop opportunities for innovation and help to deliver those opportunities through pilots or other means. The role comprises of but not limited to:
- Contributing to the technical delivery of innovation consultancy projects, including:
- Technical analysis of project-based engineering challenges and opportunities.
- Research into industry-wide challenges within the construction and infrastructure sectors.
- Report writing.
- Presentation preparation and delivery.
- Working with contractors and supply chains to deliver practical innovations.
- Contributing to the commercial delivery of innovation consultancy projects, including:
- Commercial and technical management of projects using our systems and processes (level of responsibility commensurate with seniority of candidate)
- Communicating with clients and helping to maintain productive client relationships.
(level of responsibility commensurate with seniority of candidate)
- Supporting marketing and social media activities.
- Participation in cross-trust activities, including B Corp™ initiatives.
Professional qualifications and core knowledge are expected to include:
- Membership of an appropriate professional body such as ICE, CIBSE, IMechE, IStructE, CIWEM (or similar) and ideally be chartered (or working towards chartership)
- A demonstrated understanding of the innovation challenges facing the construction sector, and ability to deliver innovation pilots
Skills and Knowledge
The successful candidate will demonstrate the following skills:
- Delivery of high-quality technical advice, client reports, technical publications and presentations etc.
- Demonstrated engineering project management.
- Strong analytical and research skills.
- Excellent report writing skills.
- Ability to effectively communicate to clients and other stakeholders (technical and non-technical).
- Professional knowledge of one or more of the following engineering/construction related areas:
- Civil, structural, water, rail and/or the built environment.
- Desirably, skills and/or experience in GIS, data visualisation and analysis.
- An understanding of the Trust’s ethos, and willingness to carry out their work in line with this ethos.
- Committed and proactive approach, with a passion for creating a better built environment in line with the Trust’s values.
- Collaborative and team player
- Flexible and adaptable, to work in an SME organisation with a fast moving and growing work pipeline
What we offer
As an employee benefit trust, we offer a comprehensive benefits package, mentoring support to accelerate learning and plenty of opportunities for advancement. We believe in investing and growing our people as much as we do our business. The package comprises:
- Comprehensive pension scheme
- Flexible working including 9-day fortnight scheme
- Bupa Private medical insurance
- WeCare 24/7 GP access
- Workplace EAP
- Life Assurance
- Cycle to work scheme
This vacancy closes on 14th January 2022, and we will be interviewing on a rolling basis through the period, so early application is encouraged. Please note that if your application has not been successful, you may not be contacted.
Please provide your CV and covering letter to tell us why you want to work at Expedition and the Useful Simple Trust, why you are suitable for the role, and what you could bring to the Trust. In addition, a form of assessment or presentation following the first interview may be requested. Any reasonable adjustments required will be met.
Useful Simple Trust is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
If you have any queries regarding the vacancy or the application process, please contact, firstname.lastname@example.org.