At Curtins we deliver solutions that enrich the communities we serve. As we are proudly independent and always will be, our people are empowered to do the right thing and help each other become the best version of themselves. We do this because the world we all live in and the legacy we leave matters.
Curtins are currently delivering some of the largest masterplan infrastructure works in Yorkshire, including Southside Regeneration, the extension of the city core along Kirkstall Road and the continued extension of the Advanced Manufacturing Park in Sheffield.
We are looking for an Associate Engineer to lead the Civils team in our Leeds office. We are based in a grade II listed building in an open plan office, with a great breakout area which sits alongside the canal just over from Leeds dock – we also have bicycle storage, showers and changing facilities available onsite.
Key Roles & Responsibilities include:
In this role you will be responsible for leading a large team of engineers & technicians working on projects across a variety of sectors. Whilst the role involves the design of both highways and drainage, the greater emphasis is on the drainage design, as this forms a greater proportion of our day-to-day work.
- Lead by example; create a positive atmosphere and positive relations with clients and staff, show trust, listen to ideas, be aware of and deal with friction, encourage people to bring solutions not problems and take responsibility when things go wrong.
- Be aware of and accept people’s limitations but also be mindful of individual performance. Recognise strong performance and give credit regularly, also be aware of poor performance and act promptly.
- Complete appraisals, taking time to give due consideration to each individual and develop constructive professional development objectives. Regularly check with their team to ensure that the objectives are relevant, and progress is being made.
- Hold regular team meetings, ensuring that everyone is communicating effectively. Brief the team on short, medium, and long terms tasks, ensure that you have the right skills, training and tools to complete your team’s tasks and feedback to your line manager any shortfalls.
- Review and approve their team’s timesheets & holiday requests to ensure the team is sufficiently staffed.
- Be familiar with company policies and signpost appropriately
- Build strong relationships with current and prospect clients & stakeholders, maintaining and building on our reputation in the market place.
- Hold your self and your team accountable for the highest standards of quality, teamwork, client focus & integrity – do the right things for the right reasons to support our vision.
- For each project being delivered by their team, understand the fees, drawdown, basis of appointment and assist with negotiation of services to be provided, design responsibility and BEP of our commission. Be alert to variations, abortive works and opportunity for additional fees and lead on these providing updates to the project director
- Supervision of multiple projects, taking responsibility to ensure compliance with IMS, CDM regulations, timely delivery of information, quality of our information and efficient/effective working.
- Resource planning and managing the teams workload to ensure they can work efficiently and effectively, seeking & providing shared resources if appropriate
We are looking for a natural leader, a problem solver who wants to help people become the best engineers they can be sharing their expert technical knowledge in a way that all can understand, someone committed to the development of people personally & professionally will be successful here.
- Proven experience of leading a large civil engineering team
- A considered approach to people management and development
- Accredited degree in Civil and/or Structural Engineering
- Hold or be working towards Chartered status (IStructE or ICE)
- IT literate with experience of drainage design software packages and Microsoft Office
- Technically competent and understands the fundamental of drainage and highway design, and the associated construction details.
- Experience working with the Eurocodes & Building Regulations
Curtins are an award winning, leading consultancy working within the built environment. Our vision is to be recognised as the leader in our field and the employer of choice.
We have 14 offices across the UK and Ireland, 350+ employees and are an Employee-Owned Trust, this means we are proudly independent and always will be. Our employees have direct influence in how their company is run and can be proud of their purpose and legacy we leave.
We value diversity and respect all differences in all people and aspire to provide a working environment that reflects the communities, towns, and cities we serve, our people have equal access to career development opportunities, their voices are heard, and they help build our future.
Further information about us and our work can be found on our website www.curtins.com
We have extensive benefits which include, but are not limited to:
• People focused culture and shared purpose
• Part of an Employee-Owned Trust
• Award winning L&D team who champion development
• 30 days holidays + Birthday holiday & option to purchase holidays
• 7% Company Pension contribution
• Workplace nursey scheme
• Enjoy technology
• Employee wellness program – Access to support like 24/7 GP, Get fit programme, Mental Health, Financial & Legal support plus much more
• Competitive salary and annual reviews
• Life assurance and long-term illness protection
• Enhanced maternity pay
• Holidays at our company lodges (we have 4 across the UK)
• Cycle to work scheme, bike storage & onsite changing facilities
• Curtins awards, walking weekends and away days
We invite enthusiastic individuals who share in our values of teamwork, client focus, integrity, and quality to apply to join us.
To apply please send your CV and a covering letter to email@example.com or use the apply now button to be directed to our online application portal. If you would like further informaiton or a confidential conversation about this role or Curtins as a company you can also contact Stephanie Woolley on 07706354840, via linked in or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Should you wish to discuss any adjustments to the application process please contact email@example.com we would be happy to discuss ways we can make the process more suitable to your needs.