Paul Basham Associates is a fast-growing, and award-winning Civil Engineering, Structural Engineering and Transport Planning consultancy. We are offering an exciting opportunity for a Principal Civil Engineer role to support the management of an expanding civil engineering team and oversee fast-paced complex schemes across a diverse range of clients.
- A degree or HND in Civil Engineering
- Preferred: Chartered Engineer (CEng) with the Institution of Civil Engineers
- 2+ years’ experience in a similar role,
- Line management experience including undertaking of appraisals, identification of training and ensuring performance of junior team members,
- Team management and resource coordination experience,
- Experience working with local authorities, developers and architects on civil engineering aspects of a range of schemes,
- Varied experience working on schemes through the planning process; from pre-app through to condition discharge,
- Civil engineering project management experience including projects combining drainage, external works and highways elements.
You must have the ability to:
- Ensure team resource works to collective goals,
- Monitor team performance and progress towards invoice targets,
- Produce clear and concise detailed team updates,
- Oversee civil engineering design work utilising team resource with due consideration of budget, client deadlines and invoicing,
- Develop civil engineering design solutions from first principles on complex projects.
You must have:
- A thorough understanding of CDM responsibilities and the ability to take a holistic view on designing out risk,
- Strong time management skills and an ability to prioritise workload and meet deadlines,
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Role Specific Requirements:
- Work within an active and lively Civil Engineering design team responsible for the design of drainage systems, highway layouts, and S278/S38 schemes.
- Work in a design office, with regular exposure to developers, architects and local authorities
- Undertake and manage team resource for design work including;
- Drainage systems in accordance with Sewers for Adoption, building regulations and the SuDS Manual,
- On and off-site highway features, in accordance with the appropriate standards and codes e.g. Design Manual for Roads and Bridges, and Manual for Streets,
- Reviewing of junior team members reports, design and drawing work,
- Mentor junior staff members and support their journey towards ICE accreditation,
- Work with the Associate and Technical Director in the preparation of budgets for prospective projects and with the writing of fee proposal letters,
- Attend client meetings and site visits,
- Co-operate with the Quality Management System (QMS) through undertaking administrative activities,
- Promote the company brand and reputation through and marketing input,
- Mentoring and training of junior staff,
- Support our regional offices and other departments through knowledge sharing.
- Understand the company’s services, market sectors, specialisms, procedures and processes,
- Assist with the planning and delivery of marketing initiatives,
- Have a sound knowledge of the market sectors within which the company operates or aspires to operate,
- Build strong and effective working relationships with clients.
- Behave in a pleasant and courteous manner at all times,
- Have the ability to work calmly under pressure,
- Be disciplined and well organised in your work,
- Carry out tasks and duties assigned in a positive and efficient manner,
- Promote and respect the principles of confidentiality,
- Be skilled at communicating with others (staff and clients alike),
- Set an example to all staff by demonstrating compliance with the company’s policies and procedures and operate within the company controls and QMS,
- Act with honesty and integrity, maintaining the highest ethical standards while representing the company (both in and out of the workplace),
- Be an effective participant during meetings and discussions.
This job description is not prescriptive; it merely outlines the key tasks and responsibilities of the post; these key tasks and responsibilities are subject to change.
It is anticipated that the position will evolve over time and any changes will be made in consultation with the post holder.