About the role
As the Head of Construction, you will be responsible for providing the necessary support to our project teams to ensure that construction and maintenance projects, typically associated with the National Cycle Network are completed safely, to programme and within budget.
You will have oversight of our portfolio of construction projects and will support our teams ensuring successful project and programme delivery, initially focusing on our England-wide programmes.
Responsible for auditing projects you will provide advice and guidance on best practice, ensuring Health and Safety is adhered to across our projects and acting as the point of escalation for negotiation with contractors and partners.
Sustrans has many years of experience of designing and constructing walking and cycling routes. We are currently delivering a multi-year, multi-million pound programme of new and improved walking and cycling routes across England for the Department for Transport.
This role will require travel and work at locations as necessary to undertake projects on behalf of Sustrans.
You will be an experienced Civil Engineer, you should hold a professional qualification in civil engineering at CEng level, or have the equivalent experience.
You will have the ability to manage, lead and support a team to deliver projects and programmes on time and to budget.
Your knowledge in Health and Safety Management will be invaluable, and you will be able to demonstrate knowledge of CDM 2015, allowing you to efficiently and effectively lead on health, safety, environmental and quality and ensure legal compliance across our construction work.
This role has oversight of the planning, development and delivery of infrastructure projects, so a proven track record in project management is essential; skills including:
- Client and stakeholder relationships management
- Programme plan management
- Programme budget responsibility
- Programme/s risk management and mitigation
We will look for evidence of your experience in managing a large portfolio of construction projects. You should have a keen eye for detail using your knowledge of NEC conditions of contract, including NEC3 & NEC4 to ensure all contracts are set up correctly.
We aim to be a truly inclusive employer and welcome applications from people from all parts of the community, in particular from under-represented groups.
Sustrans is committed to reducing inequality, valuing diversity and enabling inclusion.
What we offer
In return we can offer ongoing working from home (or a nearby Sustrans office when it’s safe to do so) and a truly flexible, supportive and rewarding working environment.
- 26 days’ leave per annum plus bank holidays for full-time working
- Ability to buy an extra week of annual leave (pro-rata for part-time staff)
- Staff volunteer days
- 24/7 free, impartial and confidential support service
- We are members of the Green Commute Initiative and Cycle Scheme who both offer cycle to work schemes
- Group Personal Pension scheme with a 4% or 5% of basic salary contribution being matched by Sustrans
- Bike, computer and season ticket loans
- Discount benefits
- Enhanced maternity and paternity pay
- Flexible Working practices (full time hours are 37.5 per week, Monday - Friday)
- Closing date for the receipt of completed applications is 23:59, 25 January 2022.
- Interviews will take place via MS Teams during the week commencing 7 February 2022.
To apply, please complete our online application form. More details of our vacancies can be found at http://www.sustrans.org.uk/about-us/vacancies.
Sustrans is the charity making it easier for people to walk and cycle. We connect people and places, create liveable neighbourhoods, transform the school run and deliver a happier, healthier commute.
Our vision and mission have never been more relevant. Across the UK, governments are pledging investment and action on walking and cycling.
We are working together to make a real difference - creating places where everyone can live and travel happily and healthily, and where nobody is excluded.
Our work wouldn’t be possible without the commitment and dedication of our colleagues.
We are proud of our employee net promoter score, being in the top 20% of all employers across all sectors in the UK, due to our energised, friendly and motivated workforce.
Join Sustrans today and help us get things done, together!