The Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE) is an international membership organisation that promotes and advances civil engineering around the world. ICE is a qualifying body, a centre for the exchange of specialist knowledge, and a provider of resources to encourage innovation and excellence in the profession worldwide.
The focus of the Membership Development Officer (MDO) role is to provide support and guidance to aspiring and current members of the Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE) in the South West area. This involves meeting potential members in groups or individually and explaining the various routes to help them get professionally qualified at the appropriate level. Current members may need advice on progressing their professional qualifications. The role includes the opportunity to interface with a broad spectrum of Civil Engineering related employer organisations and educational establishments.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Membership development – actively seeking and implementing initiatives to develop our membership base including technicians and apprentices.
- Membership growth – undertaking activities to promote and grow membership.
- Membership support – providing advice and guidance to members and non-members.
- Employer support – providing advice and guidance to employers on professional development.
- Educational establishments – developing links with colleges and universities.
- Working closely with the existing MDOs to ensure a consistency of approach.
- Ensuring that ICE membership records are up to date
What we are looking for
- Applicants should be educated to degree level or have equivalent experience of civil engineering and/or training and people development. A professionally qualified (EngTech, IEng or CEng) engineer (or a broad knowledge of Civil Engineering) would be desirable, though not essential.
- You will have previous experience in liaising with a wide audience of people, along with the ability to engage and relate to members of the engineering and education professions.
- Attention to detail and the ability to turn technical material into non-technical outputs are essential, as is the ability to target and engage a diverse range of audiences.
- The ability to work alone and as part of a multi-functional team, while managing a number of tasks effectively is key to this role.
- The successful candidate will have excellent written and verbal communication skills and the ability to prepare and deliver presentations. You will be comfortable in dealing with people on a personal and group basis.
- You must have a good working knowledge of MS Office applications.
- There will be a need to work outside “normal office hours” on occasions.
ICE Group benefits include
- 25 days annual leave plus Bank Holidays (pro-rata)
- Shutdown over Christmas period
- Annual £100 allowance towards your well-being
- Discounted food from on-site café bar
- Up to eight per cent of salary contributed to a personal pension scheme
- 24-hour employee support line
- Death in service benefit equivalent to one year’s salary
- Interest free season ticket loan
- Cycle to work scheme
- Big Gym membership savings with the Gymflex scheme
- Your Rewards discount scheme
To apply please email a CV and cover letter to email@example.com. Applicants should submit a cover letter within the same document as their CV, answering the following two questions:
1. Tell us why and how your experience equips you to carry out this role? (Max one side A4)
2. How would you approach the requirements of this role? (Max one side A4