Interested in transforming UK Rail? As an innovative organisation, at HS2 we are harnessing the power of digital engineering to deliver a high-speed, integrated, and resilient railway.
As Digital Engineering Strategy Manager your leadership skills and digital awareness will ensure the HS2 Digital Engineering vision and strategy is bold and ambitious, is implemented successfully in a large and complex organisation, and delivers significant benefits for the UK.
That means using innovative approaches and embedding new capabilities that realise the benefits transformational technologies and digital engineering can bring, to make the delivery of HS2 easier, safer, and more efficient. We are also building a Digital Twin of HS2 to optimise efficient handover and the ultimate operation and maintenance of the railway for years to come.
At HS2, we’re leaving a legacy for future infrastructure projects. Delivering HS2 will enable the shift from road and air to rail, improving the quality of the air we breathe and supporting the transition to a net-zero carbon economy by 2050.
Come and join us on our journey!
As Digital Engineering Strategy Manager at HS2, you will be managing the development and implementation of the Digital Engineering Strategy, covering the four key areas of process, people, data and technology that promotes HS2 as an exemplary project in the application of Digital Engineering, its use of data, and its digital transformation
About the role
- To be accountable for managing the development and implementation of the Digital Engineering Strategy covering the four key areas of process, people, data and technology that are required to promote HS2 as an exemplary project in the application of Digital Engineering, its use of data, and its digital transformation.
- Work collaboratively with the other members of the Digital Engineering to ensure the strategy is implemented consistently across the programme, and that appropriate governance and other measures are in place to monitor progress and the realisation of benefits.
- Work collaboratively with the DE Programme Manager to ensure that the DE programme is consistent with the strategy, so that the required digital engineering capabilities are developed
- Work collaboratively with the DE Implementation Manager to embed new digital engineering capabilities in delivery units and ensure that learning from implementation informs the DE strategy and programme
- Work collaboratively with DE Integration Manager to establish and keep up to date an architecture framework and a set of principles to apply across all Digital Engineering domains
- To be accountable for managing the design, development, and continuous improvement of the ‘Digital Engineering Landscape’ to support the delivery of HS2 and enable employees and the Supply Chain to carry out activities consistently and to the UK leading standard.
- To be responsible for identifying process and technology changes that realise programme benefits through Digital Engineering.
- To be responsible for managing the development and delivery of a range of digital engineering process improvements and governance activities; including mapping of existing processes, identifying gaps and recommending alternatives for improvement.
- To be responsible for establishing and encouraging a culture that understands and prioritises data and uses it to make decisions. And ensure that change management processes are robust so that new capabilities introduced realise their identified benefits
- To be responsible for supporting the Head of Digital Engineering in delivering the HS2 Digital Twin for use during design and construction (Virtual Railway) and operations and maintenance (Digital Twin).
- Actively promote and embed Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) in all your work and support and comply with all organisational initiatives, policies and procedures on EDI.
- Complex problem solving – the ability to understand specific business and technical challenges and identify complex problems, and review information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions. This includes the management and planning of multiple workstreams and the competing demands of stakeholders
- Leadership skills - Ability to create a vision and strategy for digital engineering at an organisational level with clear goals that are understood by everyone. Ability to analyse current and future trends to proactively identify future capability needs for the business and put in place plans to develop these capabilities
- Stakeholder management - ability to manage stakeholders within a matrix environment. Ability to build trusting relationships both organisationally and nationally
- Understanding of digital engineering strategies, policies and guidelines including Government’s BIM and information management mandates and wider aspirations around digital twins
- Knowledge of the challenges of delivering major and complex infrastructure projects
- Experience of successfully implementing change to achieve benefits through the use of digital engineering
You are expected to behave at all times in a manner consistent with the HS2 values of Safety, Leadership, Integrity and Respect.
It is expected that you will actively promote and embed Equality, Diversity, and Inclusion (EDI) in all your work and support and comply with all organisational initiatives, policies, and procedures on EDI.
We ask for a variety of detail in your online application, however we perform the first assessment of suitability for a role based solely on the information in your CV. Please attach an updated word version of your CV for each new application and include evidence directly related to the criteria in the job advert.
High Speed 2 (HS2 Ltd) will be the UK’s new high speed rail network. As well as improving capacity, the new scheme will shorten journey times between a number of Britain’s major population centres, boost the economy and create thousands of jobs.
HS2 Ltd will create a skills legacy and develop a diverse range of talent. We aim to be a leader in EDI practice by creating a safe & inclusive working environment for all our staff - living our values of Safety, Respect, Integrity and Leadership.
HS2 Ltd is also a safety-critical organisation. Employees are required to ensure reasonable care of their own and others’ health and safety by taking personal responsibility for working to our ‘Safe at Heart’ programme principles and following safe working procedures at all times.
We operate broad pay scales for all our roles to enable us to fulfil our commitments to inclusivity and career development. Final package is dependent on individual knowledge, skills and experience. In addition, we offer a range of competitive benefits - check them out in the Benefits section on our website.
HS2 Ltd endeavours to ensure everyone working for us and with us feels included, thrives and achieves their full potential. In practice, this means we are positive and inclusive about making adjustments, providing flexible working, encouraging our staff networks to flourish and providing personal and professional development opportunities.
Closing date: 17 July 2022.