We are recruiting for an EXPERIENCED ENGINEER to join our Nuclear Engineering Team in the Cumbria Office based at Westlakes Science Park. You will be based in our Whitehaven office and will play a key part in maintaining and enhancing our track record and reputation for top quality engineering with integrity. This is an opportunity to develop your career on the doorstep of the Lake District National Park!
We’re looking for a reliable individual with demonstrable technical knowledge and experience within civil and structural engineering design and construction, with the ability to lead teams and mentor junior engineers. Varying degrees of relevant experience and skillsets will be considered for the role, and grade and salary will be commensurate with experience.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- MSc / MEng in Civil Engineering / Structural Engineering at 2.1 or above.
- Chartered or Incorporated Membership Engineer (ICE or IStructE) or progressing towards Chartered Engineer Status.
- Minimum of 10 + years relevant experience, preferably in a nuclear decommissioning environment.
- Familiarity with current design standards and practices, including experience of working with British standards and Eurocodes.
- Excellent technical competence and understanding relating to engineering solutions, preferably with a background in steel and reinforced concrete design and assessment.
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills, including the ability to communicate complex technical information in a variety of forms to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Experience of technical leadership, project management and/or staff line management roles, with demonstrable competence in effective management and leadership of a delivery team.
- Sound understanding and knowledge of Health and Safety law and approaches to management of health and safety issues.
- Good working knowledge of design software packages (e.g. STAAD Pro, Revit & Tedds).
- Possess a strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office, particularly Excel.
- Planned and organised in your approach to work and meeting deadlines.
- A full driver’s licence would be an advantage.
Ideally, you should also be able to demonstrate that you:
- Are commercially aware, able to consider the commercial impact of decisions.
- Are able to demonstrate good project management skills and acumen.
- Possess experience in working with large scale projects and will be comfortable making engineering-based decisions with significant impact on engineering risk.
- Are a well-mannered and professional individual with a positive ‘can do’ attitude.
- Proactive in nature who takes pride in ‘getting things done’ to a high standard.
- Are able to produce well-presented and accurate drawings and reports.
- Demonstrate a flexible attitude to the type of work undertaken and the level of responsibility given.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Working as part of a team of engineers on technical design works including checking, approval, providing advice and assisting with technical directors to deliver work packages.
- Acting as technical lead for complex multi-disciplinary engineering projects, this will also involve:
- Identifying and coordinating the correct approach for delivery
- Ensuring the engineering solution meets the relevant standards and legislation
- Ensuring the engineering solutions are delivered to schedule and budget and meet the client requirements
- Liaising with clients and outside organisations to deliver high quality outcomes, maintaining excellent communication throughout the project with both internal and external stakeholders
- Ensuring Health and Safety requirements are addressed throughout the lifecycle of the project
- Risk identification and mitigation, anticipating engineering challenges.
- Developing our junior and graduate engineers by offering support and advice as they progress towards their own professional registration.
- Compliance with WEL’s internal policies, procedures and IMS objectives.
The role will also require you to champion Westlakes’ overarching values of continuous improvement, integrity and collaboration. Throughout your employment, we would expect to see a commitment to the successful delivery of projects, meeting the needs of our clients, the development of the team and business as a whole.
- This role is based at our Head Office at Whitehaven, you may be required to travel to other company and client sites may be necessary.
- Although we operate across various industries, our Whitehaven engineering team operate primarily within the nuclear industry. Hours are flexible, but with core hours of 10am to 3pm Monday to Friday.
Please note that this role and any offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of security clearance. This includes - but is not limited to - identity, employment, financial and criminal record checks. You must have the right to work in the UK and be able to provide verification of 5 years’ worth of UK residency.
Why Work for Westlakes?
Our modern Westlakes office overlooks the Western Lake District fells, based on the edge of the Lake District on the Cumbrian coastline. Being based within Cumbria, we actively promote a work life balance and recognise the attraction of enjoying the magnificent landscape of the area all year round and combining that with a rewarding career in your choice of industry.
Westlakes Engineering are passionate about the training and development of our engineers. We have established various internal training programmes, including our professional registration (graduate development) programme, our leadership development programme and our project management training programme.
As we are an SME, you’ll never be far from the action, working closely with our clients and being given opportunities to manage your own projects and develop your own client relationships. Choosing to work for us means being able to gain a wide array of experience across many varied projects working with people from different backgrounds.
Our reputation is one of quality, safety and integrity. Our project portfolio is diverse, from managing multi-million-pound complex projects to small, unique intricate projects. Our clients range from individuals to multi-national corporations and nuclear sites. One day is never the same as the next and you’ll quickly develop not only your technical skills but also your business and commercial acumen. As you work on challenging and exciting projects, you’ll also continually learn from skilled and knowledgeable industry experts. The ever-changing conditions of our industries means we need individuals who can adapt, change and thrive when working in dynamic environments, and we strive to balance these demands with a focus on inclusivity, well-being and flexible working which helps to bring the best out in all our staff.
As part of this role, we will also be offering:
- An excellent career with a competitive salary (subject to qualifications and experience).
- Exciting and varied project experience.
- Support and training to develop your career through professional accreditation and beyond.
- Employer pension contributions.
- 24 days annual leave plus Bank Holidays.
- Life Assurance.
- Employee Assistance Programme (EAP).
- Flexible work schedules and opportunities to work remotely.
- Parental Leave and Childcare Vouchers.
- Other benefits include Cycle to Work schemes and Railcard schemes.
To apply for this role, or to request further information, please send a copy of your CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org quoting reference – Experienced Engineer – Whitehaven – June 2022.
Please note that because we consider each applicant individually, inevitably there can be a slight delay in the response time. We will ensure all candidates are communicated to as quickly as possible.