Reporting to the SCS Design Lead for Shafts in Area Central as well as the SCS Design Lead in Area Central, you will be responsible for the Design Management of 2 ventilation shafts on HS2 Lot S1 or Lot S2, ensuring the design is delivered to an acceptable standard of quality in-line with commercial and programme expectations.
The scope of design elements comprises 2 shafts incl. main works, headhouses, shaft fit out, architectural features, urban realm and relevant internal and external interfaces.
Working with SCS's design partners, you will plan the delivery for your design elements, defining the detailed scope and enforcing a progressive approach to technical assurance. You will manage day-to-day interactions with internal (e.g. Construction Teams, MEP, Logistics etc.) and external interfaces, with the customer, customer's designer and other third-party stakeholders (e.g. Network Rail, London Underground, Thames Water etc.). You will ensure the production of the design deliverables by our design partners meets the correct quality, contract, safety, time and cost requirements.
You will work in a team with the other design managers to ensure coordination of design elements throughout the contract and to identify change. You will ensure that detailed design and contractor design are integrated. You will report to a Lead Design Manager for shafts.
The successful candidate must be willing to be based at an office located in Old Oak Common and parttime at the actual shaft locations
- Work closely with the relevant SCS Construction and Engineering Managers and MEP team to ensure that the design outputs are aligned with the construction and procurement strategy
- Ensure that temporary case requirements are taken into account in the design, and that any required temporary works designs are prepared
- Coordinate technical assurances requirements
- Track the progress of design documentation and facilitate regular reviews with the construction and client teams
- Assisting the Design Lead(s) in the review of design resources and outputs
- Ensure that relevant design management plans and assurance plans are adhered to, within area of responsibility
- Be familiar with, and demonstrate commitment to the requirements of the Health, Safety and Environmental Policies
- Implement the relevant requirements of the Safety Management System within their area of responsibility
- Ensure that the Construction Team, Sub-Contractors and Suppliers receive or have access to copies of the relevant Health and Safety as well as Environmental Policy and are kept informed of relevant developments and issues
- Internal liaison with the Construction Team, QA team and Cost Control
- External liaison with HS2, Subcontractors / Suppliers and Stakeholders, close co-ordination with the Design Manager required
- Manage, mentor and develop junior team members and graduate engineers
- Degree level qualification in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Civil Engineering (or related subject)
- Holder of a relevant professional qualification (IEng or CEng), or close to obtaining a professional qualification
- Experience of ground engineering or shafts (design or construction)
- Either, experience working as a design manager for a contractor on a major project or experience in project delivery/engineering for a contractor, is required
- Computer competence (MS Word, Excel, SharePoint).
- Relevant CSCS Card
- Strong understanding of Engineering Principles and CDM Regulations
- Knowledge and Understanding of construction contract law and forms of contract through experience and formal training
- Extensive technical knowledge of construction techniques and best practices.
- Training in Health & Safety and Environmental management