About the role:
Reporting to the Lead Engineering Manager, you will be responsible for managing Asset Protection measures to strengthen (or otherwise mitigate) NR assets, located adjacent to the HS2 railway, which will be adversely affected by ground movements occurring during construction of the new railway
Those structures identified as potentially requiring mitigation include: Railway Tunnels, Bridging Structures, Retaining Walls, OLE Structures, Permanent Way, and Signalling Gantries. Work is significantly underway with reports produced for structural surveys and structural assessments. A mitigation strategy is being finalized, and a plan to produce detailed engineering designs, drawings, and specifications, or other forms of mitigation is in preparation. The intent is for designs to be carried out in each instance, by our own Design House, or by external consultants, or by a design and build subcontractor
An understanding of the full range of NR disciplines is required to be able to interface / coordinate / integrate with other discipline specialists, including Assurance (Safety Case), System Requirements (Reliability, Interfacing, Coordination, Integration, Completions), Civil (including Buildings and Building Services), E&P (including OLE, SCADA, EMC, M&E, Traction Power, E&B), Track (Pway, Formation, Drainage), Signalling (Gantries, Signal Sighting), and Telecomm (Systems, Troughing)
Working with the Lead Engineering Manager, and Design Managers, you will manage and report progress against the mitigation delivery strategy to meet the construction programme; subsequently taking steps to ensure that no slippage occurs in the programme. Forecast dates should match the original scheduled dates unless a scope change to baseline is identified as being required and has been authorized by the project.
You will manage day-to-day interactions with internal (eg Construction, I&M, Procurement, Logistics etc) and work closely with other design managers, to ensure coordination of design elements throughout the contract and to identify change.
In association with others, you will accept completed designs, complete with assurance documentation. Assurance processes include those of HS2, SCS, NR, TfL, LBC, and Utility Companies
- Further development and maintenance of NR asset protection strategy
- Chair and record weekly action log for NR asset protection
- Support Contractors Engineering Manager [CEM] & discipline specific Contractors Responsible Engineers [CRE's] to ensure compliance with NR Engineering Standards
- Assisting the CEM in the review of design resources and outputs [Forms A, B, C……] to ensure compliance with relevant NR Engineering Standards.
- Assisting the CEM in the review and advise on construction methodologies to maximise construction outputs whilst minimising disruption and maintaining safe operations.
- Reviewing DMP's, CoMP's & MAP's to ensure adequate monitoring systems are in place and baselined prior to construction impacts
- Attendance at SRG's, CTC's and MAT's when triggers are breached.
- Close liaison with SCS Survey/Monitoring Teams to ensure I&M installations are installed in accordance with above controlling documents
- Being familiar with, and committing to Health & Safety and Environmental Policies
- Implementing requirements of the Safety Management System
- Ensuring that the Construction Team, Sub-Contractors and Suppliers receive or have access to copies of the Health and Safety and Environmental Policies, and are kept informed of all relevant developments and issues
- Internal liaison with the Construction Team, QA team and Cost Control
- External liaison with HS2, Subcontractors / Suppliers and Stakeholders, close co-ordination with the Asset Manager
- Managing, mentoring, and developing junior team members and graduate engineers
- University Engineering Degree in Civil Engineering or similar
- Professional qualification (CEng); or close to obtaining a professional qualification
- DPE or CRE minimum, working in a similar capacity for a contractor on a major project
- Strong understanding of Engineering Principles, demonstrated by design experience
- Extensive technical knowledge of construction techniques and best practices
- Knowledge and Understanding of construction contract law and forms of contract through experience and formal training
- Training in Health & Safety and Environmental management
- Computer competence (MS Word, Excel, Document control system).
- Relevant CSCS Card