ORR is responsible for monitoring National Highways performance and efficiency in its roleas steward of the motorways and major A roads in England.
In this role, you will be responsible for leading a team to hold National Highways' to account for its performance in delivering better outcomes for road users, via its asset management and capital investment projects.
Your key responsibilities, although not exhaustive, will include:
- Lead on holding National Highways to account for its asset management delivery and performance at a regional level, e.g. scrutinise how asset risks could manifest themselves at a regional delivery level, against technical standards/policy. This responsibility area will include holding the company to account for delivery of its asset management transformation plan and the development of whole life costing, through to asset valuation.
- Lead the Highways team’s overall approach to holding National Highways to account for the delivery of its capital schemes/projects, focused on enhancements, renewals and maintenance, in line with its Roads Investment Strategy (RIS) commitments.
- As the expert, provide critical engineering insight into National Highways' capital portfolio project delivery, including enhancements and renewals to enable wider holding to account strategic decisions.
- Produce technical advice for government to help inform enhancement project change control decisions.
- Lead analysis to hold National Highways to account for its approach to operating its network, including routine maintenance and on-road operations.
- Actively support ORR’s work relating to our role in the development of future RIS, including advice on the deliverability of future capital projects.
- Develop and execute annual workplans, including the scoping, commissioning, and leadership of external engineering consultancy support.
- Develop and improve our detailed delivery relationships with key suppliers and stakeholders in the sector. Share insights and integrate specialist input from other parts of ORR including safety, environment, strategic programme and economics.
- Share and develop best practice around performance analysis and technical knowledge with ORR colleagues working on road and rail.
- Making Effective Decisions
- Delivering at pace
- Communicating and influencing
- Working together
- A subject matter expert in engineering and delivery who has an excellent understanding of the asset management (e.g. development, construction and maintenance) lifecycle process of large infrastructure projects.
- A proven ability to create and maintain effective working relationships and represent ORR at senior (Board) levels.
This job description provides an overview of key duties and responsibilities and is not exhaustive. You may be expected to undertake other duties and responsibilities within the scope of your role and as appropriate for your grade.
How we will assess your application
We will assess you against the Behaviours and Experience elements listed above at sift stage and interview stage.
If there are a large number of applications, we may conduct an initial pre-sift based on the lead behaviour for this role which is: Making Effective Decisions. Successful candidates at the pre-sifting stage will then progress to the next stage.
At interview, candidates will be asked to deliver a presentation revolving one or more of the Behaviours and Experience elements above. Interviews are anticipated to be held on the 26/27 August 2022.