Our client is an award-winning engineering practice that specialises in structural & technical design. They currently have an exciting opportunity for competent and enthusiastic Principal Structural Engineer to join the team in their Bristol office on a full-time permanent basis.
The successful candidate will enjoy being part of a small and friendly team and working with colleagues across a broad variety of projects. You will be providing the highest standards of design and delivering technically sound and buildable solutions and assisting the Associate Director to manage resources of the design group; assuming or delegating the role of Project Engineer and reviewing, checking and guiding more junior members of the team as necessary.
This role would suit an individual who enjoys the variety of development projects and design in all the main construction materials. As well as the refurbishment projects, you will be producing reports and providing advice regarding mitigation and repairs.
- Assist the Directors to control cost and work programmes within the structural design group to achieve targeted profitability,
- Assist with preparing fee proposals, monthly fee income projections,
- Monitor and record additional costs arising from alterations and amendments,
- Promote the development and motivation of staff within the structural design group,
- To inspect the works in accordance with the Client's brief and that accurate notes recording the visit are taken and filed.
- A relevant Bachelor's degree (or equivalent) qualification,
- Membership of relevant professional body (IStructE or ICE). You may be working towards chartership status or already chartered,
- Substantial UK construction industry experience - experience of residential development and historic building refurbishment would be an advantage,
- Good commercial awareness and client liaison experience,
- In-depth abilities of undertaking superstructure, foundation and geotechnical design to latest Code of Practices and NHBC / BCO design criteria,
- Abilities of specifying common material specifications via NBS create/ Buildings: reinforced concrete, structural steelwork, masonry and timber,
- A hands-on approach to detail design and a good understanding of Eurocodes and current industry standards,
- Ability to undertake 3D Design, (familiarity with Tekla would be an advantage) and finite elements analysis modelling,
- Ability to speak clearly, confidently, and professionally when dealing with staff, clients and other members of the professional team,
- Ability to write clear and concise e-mails, letters and technical reports,
- Ability to provide mentoring support to design, graduate engineers and junior technicians,
- Ability to undertake independent site inspection and structural condition survey works.
On offer for the Principal Structural Engineer:
- Competitive salary,
- Benefits include - contributory pension, life assurance, personal accident insurance,
- Ability to purchase additional holiday,
- Subsidised social activities.
If you think this role sounds ideal for you and you'd like to find out more about the client, please send an up to date CV to Sian Burke for more details.