£33,706 - £40,588 per annum, NHS trust based in Leicester, Full-time role
Your new company
One of the biggest and busiest NHS Trusts in the country providing specialist services across three sites to more than one million residents in the East Midlands. They have their own Children's Hospital and run one of the country's leading heart centres. Their team is made up of more than 17,000 staff providing a range of renowned services reaches a further three million patients from the rest of the country. They have a strong reputation for medical research and work closely with their partner universities to provide world-class teaching to the next generation of doctors, nurses and healthcare professionals. Their purpose is to provide "Caring at it's best" and their staff have helped them create a set of values that embody who they are and their agendas.
Your new role
The NHS Trust is looking for an experienced Waste Manager to ensure that the Trust complies with all applicable waste legislation. They will be required to manage the Trust Behavioural change programme supporting the Head of Sustainability in achieving their corporate objectives in connection with their Green Plan, waste reduction and recycling.
- Lead the trust in the in the implementation of the Trusts waste management policy both in Clinical setting and other areas of E & F including capital projects.
- Drive significant reductions in total waste and agreed increases in the proportion of waste recycled.
- Day to day administration, supervision and monitoring of the waste management contracts including recycling, mixed non-hazardous waste streams, some specific hazardous waste streams and confidential waste streams
- Support the procurement of contracts for the services provided and ensures best value for money also the validation of SOW (Scope of Works) and tender specifications.
- Manage the waste management budgets, preparing both revenue and capital estimates and ensuring that goods and services are obtained within the provision of the Trusts purchasing guidelines.
- Ensure the contractors comply with health and safety, DOC and all other relevant legislation.
- Maintain an understanding of new and current waste management legislation, adapting services to comply with legislation as required with evaluation of cost implications.
- Prepare and present reports to Sustainability forums, Waste committees and SMT
- Make decisions on routine issues / problems arising from waste contractors.
- Assist with periodic internal and departmental environmental audits and external audits of contractors to ensure that the Trust maintains an efficient and compliant waste management service.
- Promote to all Trust staff the available services and procedures to enable them to reduce, reuse, recycle and dispose of their general waste streams in the most appropriate manner.
What you'll need to succeed
Training & qualifications:
- Educated to degree level in environmental management or equivalent / associated discipline related to the role.
- Experience in Waste Management from within an Healthcare setting.
- Good knowledge of the legal and practical aspects of waste management within an organisation
- Comprehensive understanding of waste hierarchy, mechanisms for reducing waste arising and how to monitor /measure arising against targets
- Experience of collecting and analysing data on waste /recycling
- Experience of delivering environmental training /awareness-raising.
- Experience of delivering environmental training /awareness- raising
Communication and relationship skills
- Demonstrate the skill set to encourage behavioural change in all waste matter from the board to the shop floor.
- Ability to promote waste minimisation through face-to-face engagement and presentations
- Experience of supervising and mentoring staff, including allocating / managing workloads
- Appropriate experience in a corporate setting sufficient to demonstrate competency and ability.
- Experience of managing and monitoring external contractors
- Salary range: £33,706 to £40,588 per annum (Band 6)
- Full time, hybrid role
- 8.30am - 4.30 Monday to Friday
- 28 days annual leave (excluding bank holidays)
- Based in: Leicester, travel between sites required
- NHS Pension scheme
What you need to do now
If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now' to forward an up-to-date copy of your CV, or call us now.
If this job isn't quite right for you but you are looking for a new position, please contact us for a confidential discussion on your career.