North Somerset Council has an exciting opportunity for a motivated individual who is graduated in Civil Engineering and has experience in Structural Engineering Design and Construction. We are a forward-thinking authority using the latest Highway Structures maintenance techniques to manage its network and you will play a key role in this essential function.
Typical duties will include:
Lead on the delivery of capital schemes structural designs, as well as providing support to the Team Manager, within a team, on various design and maintenance duties including:
- Design production
- Structural assessments
- Principal Inspections / Special Inspections
- Feasibility and other technical reports
- Reviewing of design drawings and calculations
- Development of engineering solutions and presentation of engineering options
- Produce and check design concepts, design details, drawings, specifications, contract documents and other technical documents
- Support development of junior members of staff
- Drive effective health and safety practices within the team.
- Prepare technical reports (e.g. Feasibility/Options Reports, Assessment Reports and other technical reports)
- Assist in the preparation and monitoring of the budget for projects, including the planning, monitoring and reporting of project resources
- Ensure innovation and best practice is highlighted and adopted where practicable
- Ensure compliance with all relevant technical standards.
- Develop safe, sustainable and value for money solutions to meet technical and project requirements.
- Ensure compliance with relevant health, safety, and environmental legislation, particularly the CDM regulations.
Our assets which mainly comprise of bridges, retaining walls and culverts play a sometimes unseen but essential role in the lives of residents, business and visitors alike.
You should be educated to a minimum Degree level (BEng or equivalent) in Civil Engineering. Your drive to progress will be rewarded with career development, an interesting and varied workload, and a great working environment.
While this is a full-time post, proposals around term-time only or part-time hours will also be considered, to take into consideration individual circumstances.
North Somerset council offers an average salary pension, flexible working hours, and a generous holiday allowance to support a greater work life balance.
For an informal discussion, call Darren Gilbert or Chandan Bhumpelly on 07881 267 472 / 07776 170 223.
Want to know more and apply? Click 'Apply' to download an application pack and apply online.
Anticipated interview date: Friday 16 December 2022
North Somerset Council is an equal opportunities employer. We welcome applications from all sections of our community regardless of age, disability, sex, race, religion, belief or sexual orientation. North Somerset Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.