Location: The post holder will be expected to work from our Cardiff or Llandarcy office on occasion (up to 1 day per week on average) with the remainder being flexible in terms of location
Covering South and Mid Wales, we are an operational team who play a vital role in ensuring that both works in and near main rivers, and developments in the floodplain, do not have a detrimental impact upon flood risk and the environment. This is carried out through the timely determination and enforcement of Flood Risk Activity Permits (FRAPs) and providing flood risk advice to the Local Planning Authorities in line with TAN15 policy.
You will work within an experienced team and be responsible for determining FRAPs and responding to planning consultations in the Cardiff and South Wales Valleys area. The role involves both office and site-based work during which you will meet with both internal and external stakeholders and customers to provide technical flood risk advice and guidance.
You will need to demonstrate good time and workload management skills together with an ability to work with key Natural Resources Wales and external stakeholders. This is an exciting opportunity to help protect South Wales communities from flooding and ensure that our ecosystems are protected from damage.
Knowledge and experience of the following:
- Educated to degree level in a science or engineering discipline.
- Member of appropriate professional body (e.g. CIWEM or ICE) and working towards becoming chartered in the near future.
- Excellent communication and analytical skills.
- Understanding of TAN15 and planning in relation to Flood Risk
- Understanding of flood risk mechanisms/sources of flooding and fluvial hydrology.
- Strong and effective self-management and organisational skills.
- Good knowledge and experience of GIS systems and data management.
- Good report writing skills.
- Must have a full UK driving licence.
This role will offer a range of benefits, including:
- Agile and Flexible working (role dependent)
- Civil Service Pension Scheme offering employer contributions of 26.6% to 30.3%
- 28 days Annual Leave, rising to 33 days
- Generous Leave entitlements for all your life needs
- Health and Wellbeing Benefits and Support
- Weekly Well-being Hour to use at your choice