Assistant Engineer x 3
- Bristol City Council
- Bristol (City Centre), Bristol (GB)
- £31,099 - £41,496
- Closing date
- 4 Jun 2023
- Highways & transport jobs
- Civil Engineer
- Contract Type
- Full Time
We are looking for Assistant Engineers to join our Engineering and Design Team who will help shape Bristol for a low carbon sustainable future in response to the climate emergency.
What will I be doing?
You will be part of a friendly and enthusiastic team delivering a wide range of urban transport and public realm projects from concept design all the way through to completion. The role includes developing innovative designs in AutoCAD and associated software, preparing specifications and contract documents, measuring works proposals, producing bills of quantities and monitoring the work on site.
You’ll be working in a supportive environment where you will be encouraged to attain professional qualifications and undertake further training to help you to progress through our career grades. This is a great opportunity to develop your career.
What do I need to have?
You should be either a Graduate Civil Engineer or, have evidence of one of the qualifications stated in the Person Specification attached or, be able to demonstrate experience of urban highway design and delivery experience. It would be an advantage if you could demonstrate a good understanding of the challenges of delivering cycle, bus priority and public realm infrastructure in an urban environment.
As well as the necessary professional skills, you will be able to communicate effectively with clients, colleagues, and contractors. You will be able to work well in a team, manage priorities, and work to deadlines. You should have knowledge and experience of digital methods for design, document preparation and project programming.
Why Bristol City Council?
Join us and you’ll receive an excellent rewards package including:
- Annual Leave starting at 25 days (plus Bank Holidays) rising to 30 days (plus Bank Holidays) after five years’ service
- Family friendly with enhanced maternity leave and pay, paternity leave (10 days), shared parental leave, paid emergency careers leave (up to 5 days pa) for caring responsibilities
- The ability to purchase up to 20 days additional annual leave each year
- Flexitime and a flexible mix of working from home and at our modern shared office environment that is close to good sustainable transport links
- Membership of the Local Government Pension scheme
- A salary sacrifice cycle to work scheme for the purchase of a bicycle and equipment for healthy, low carbon travel. A salary sacrifice zero or lower emissions vehicle leasing scheme
- Significant investment in your career development, through learning and development, coaching, mentoring and on job experience
How do I apply?
If you share our values and are ready to be part of our exciting journey please select the apply button below.
To be shortlisted for interview you’ll need to demonstrate how you meet each of the essential criteria in the Person Specification within the Further Information section of your application. On occasion we will receive high numbers of applications, we may then shortlist against the desirable criteria along with the essential criteria, so if you can, please demonstrate how you meet this in your application.
For an informal conversation about these roles, please contact Alan Berridge, Engineering Design Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org
At Bristol City Council, we value having a workforce as diverse as the city we serve. We therefore welcome, develop and promote people from all sections of the community. We particularly welcome applications from Young People, Black, Asian & Minority Ethnic, Disabled, LGBTQ+ and Female candidates who are currently under-represented within this service. Appointments will be made on merit.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert