We are a rapidly growing Civil and Environmental Engineering Consultancy based in Richmond, London. Since our founding in 2009, we have gained a reputation as a team of passionate industry experts who deliver high-quality, multi-disciplinary local projects. We listen attentively to our clients' needs, tailor our services and reject a one-size-fits-all approach.
Sustainability underpins everything we do and is central to every project we take on. Our technical leads ensure that we seize every opportunity to reduce CO2 emissions and maximise environmental benefits. Our B Corp status and social value initiatives, through our contracts and direct actions, demonstrate our commitment to improving the environment we have inherited and the communities we work in.
Key to our success are our people. We offer a supportive, diverse, and enjoyable work environment where we thrive on challenges, facilitate collaboration, and prioritise respect.
ABOUT THE ROLE
With a robust pipeline of projects and an impressive client list, our Highway Engineering Team is seeking to hire a Principal Highways Engineer who shares our values and possesses the technical leadership skills required to deliver high-quality schemes.
This opportunity is ideal for an experienced engineer seeking to work in an energetic environment where they can have a tangible influence on the continued success of the business.
OBJECTIVES OF THE ROLE:
- Technical leadership of our most complex highways and public realm projects, ranging from feasibility, through detailed design, to construction support.
- Working in partnership with our UK local authority and contracting clients to deliver critical infrastructure schemes, including fence-to-fence highway regeneration, safer junction designs, active travel schemes, complete town centre redevelopments and carriageway maintenance programmes.
- Mentoring ambitious and highly motivated junior engineers to be the best they can be.
- Working within project delivery teams from inception, to ensure our methodology is appropriate and that the team is supported throughout the project.
- Review the work of the project delivery team before issue, ensuring outputs delivered to the client are of the highest standard.
- Work closely with partner organisations including transport planners, safety auditors, quantity surveys and landscape architects.
- Work with the Directors to take a leading role on R&D projects to ensure Metis stays at the forefront of the industry.
- Ensure innovation and sustainability is in-built into every project.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS & EXPERIENCE:
- Chartered Civil Engineer.
- UK highways industry experience.
- Experience leading detailed design of highway infrastructure schemes including highway geometric design and pavement engineering.
- Experience of providing construction support, working with clients and contractors.
- Comprehensive understanding of relevant industry standards, regulations and best practice.
- Exceptional attention to detail, whilst working within project budgets and programmes.
- Proven ability to provide technical leadership.
- Understanding of Health and Safety legislation, CDM regulations and the ability to discharge our associated responsibilities.
- Minimum CEFR C1 level written and spoken English.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS & EXPERIENCE:
- Experience in delivering highways schemes in the London environment.
- A level of expertise in drainage and SuDS design and implementation.
SALARY AND PACKAGE:
- Salary: £55,000 - £75,000 based on experience.
- Bonus: Up to 10% based on company performance.
The package includes pension, eligibility for private medical cover, flexible working in our offices in central Richmond (SW London), and generous annual holiday leave. Professional institution membership will also be funded, as well as the professional development necessary to meet your objectives.
Please send us your CV along with a covering letter to Angela Cappa, Office Manager - firstname.lastname@example.org or through the website. In your cover letter, please provide details on why you would like to work for Metis and explain what makes you a great fit for this role.
Please note that applicants who do not include a tailored cover letter will not be considered.