Move into Teaching! MKC Training offers a unique opportunity for a Senior Lecturer in Civil Engineering at a prestigious training facility in Chatham, Kent. Applications invited from candidates wanting to make the move from industry into teaching. From £56,200 + excellent benefits, continuous professional development and career prospects. 37 hours per week (8-4.30), permanent. Opportunity to teach military students up to MSc Level in Civil / Geotechnical Engineering.
About MKC Training
MKC Training, is an expert in the design and delivery of innovative teaching, learning, assessment and training design for the defence construction and engineering sectors. Supporting employers, training providers and awarding organisations to provide a stimulating environment to help individuals and organisations achieve their goals. They have a long and very successful partnership contract based at the Royal School of Military Engineering, Brompton Barracks.
This is an exciting time for the business – they are diversifying their portfolio to offer more courses to external clients, while also continuing to advance training services to the British Army. Their portfolio covers several course development and delivery projects focused on key topics, such as decarbonisation, sustainability, and additive manufacturing.
About the Professional Engineering Wing:
As a Civil Engineering Senior Lecturer, you will be joining a team of diverse higher education professionals in the Civil and Structural Engineering disciplines. The team works with the military to train professionally qualified construction and civil engineers to enable UK military to live, work and move, by designing, constructing, and maintaining infrastructure and accommodation on bases and on operations around the world. In addition, our academic team mentor soldiers, and officers through their chartership/incorporation journey with applicable professional bodies such as the ICE, IStructE, IET and IMechE.
MKC Training provides an important training capability to the army and the UK that has allowed them to:
- Design and manage the build of Camp Bastion in Afghanistan from a desert, to a 26km2 base able to accommodate 28,000 personnel as well as a significant airport
- Design and manage the build of the Nightingale hospitals to provide resilience to the NHS infrastructure during the COVID pandemic. The London Nightingale was built, able to accommodate 4,000 beds within 10 days
- Provide resilience for the UK by working with the Environmental Agency to support the Civil authorities in reaction to national flooding events
Their students are therefore professionally minded and committed to their personal development.
About the role:
As a Senior Lecturer, you will provide subject expertise within a small multidisciplinary teaching team, undertaking teaching and assessment at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels. You will supervise undergraduate and postgraduate research projects, as well as mentor students through their work attachment to gain their Chartered status. You will also have the opportunity to develop short courses and other commercially related activities.
- At least a postgraduate qualification (or equivalent professional practice) in Geotechnical Engineering (or related subject area).
- Proven experience of teaching or mentoring at undergraduate and/or postgraduate level, or in industry A level 7 teaching qualification or a commitment to achieve one within 2 years of contract commencement.
- Chartered Engineer or Professional membership with an ability to demonstrate involvement in civil engineering at senior engineer or management level (to highlight the ability to gain professional registration within an agreed time after commencement).
Essential experience and knowledge.
- Experience in teaching or training delivery in the relevant subject area or have demonstrated that they have the strong potential to be able to teach their subject during interview.
- An appreciation for the commercial and contractual aspects of delivering engineering consultancy work.
- Excellent communication, time management and client relationship management skills
- Knowledge & experience of e-learning and e-assessment tools, or the willingness to engage with and develop these forms of learning.
- Knowledge & experience of quality assurance & improvement.
- Knowledge of relevant safeguarding legislation.
- Valuing a diverse and inclusive work environment and demonstrating this in your work.
- Personal drive with a delivery focused attitude
- Membership of a recognised Higher Education teaching body.
- Playing or have played an active role in any Professional Engineering Institution as a volunteer or committee member.
- Have previously worked with the military to deliver engineering excellence.
MKC Training is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce.
Their core values are;
- Commitment to learner success
- Investment in People
- Collaboration through partnership to achieve shared goals
- Innovation to prepare for tomorrow
We recognise the talent that the ex-armed forces community offer and guarantee an interview to personnel who meet the selection criteria as advertised.
A competitive salary, excellent benefits to include: 6 weeks holidays (plus bank hols), contributory pension, private healthcare, on-site gym / sports equipment, sick pay, cycle to work and on-going professional development.
All posts are subject to a Disclosure and Barring Service application. MKC Training follows the DBS Code of Practice.