We have an exceptional opportunity for a senior manager to join our dedicated Highway Management team responsible for the public highway and rights of way networks in Solihull.
This exciting and challenging role has been created to lead the team of staff and contractors who are responsible for delivering excellent public services to ensure the safe and efficient operation of the roads, footpaths and bridleways in Solihull.
We pride ourselves on being a Council that is small enough to care, but big enough to make a difference. To help achieve this we work closely with our public sector partners, businesses, the voluntary sector, and communities to improve the lives of the people we serve.
We help to make big things happen – like the High-Speed Rail network, M42 Junction 5a, our housing growth programme aligned with the Local Plan and bringing forward exciting commercial and residential develops at Birmingham Airport, the N.E.C. and Arden Cross development.
The Highway Management team forms part of the wider Highway Management Group and this post will report to the Head of Highway Management. As Strategic Lead, you will be responsible for leading a dedicated team whilst working alongside our Parking and Enforcement Services, Sustainable Travel and Urban Traffic Control teams all who contribute to managing one of the best performing highway networks in the country.
Significant change is taking place in Solihull over the next decade, and this will be your opportunity to help shape how people travel in the future.
To meet the challenge and be successful in the role you will have:
- HNC or above in Civil Engineering or another relevant subject; or able to demonstrate relevant significant knowledge through extended experience.
- Detailed knowledge and experience of traffic management and statutory requirements.
- Proven experience of leading a multi-discipline team of professional people.
- Extensive project management experience.
- Experience of contract management with excellent negotiating, influencing and diplomacy skills.
- Financial management and contract procurement experience
- Ability to support the management of the service area and the development of longer-term strategies.
The service has strong links with major employers and event providers and this post forms part of the Council’s Emergency Planning team and may need to be on-call or required to work on key event dates e.g., around Christmas, Easter and at evenings and weekends.
In return for your commitment and contribution, the successful applicant will be offered:
- A range of flexible working options,
- Generous annual leave entitlements with the opportunity to purchase up to 10-days additional leave per year.
- A flexitime scheme with up to 24 days per year
- Access to our Employee Assistance Programme – a 24 hour independent, free and confidential advice and support service
- Family and carer friendly policies
- Access to the Local Government Pension Scheme
- Employee benefits including staff discounts, subsidised travel passes and Cycle 2 Work Scheme
- As an essential car user, free parking is available.
If you have a specific question regarding this post, please contact Paul Tovey, Head of Highway Management at email@example.com
Closing date for completed applications is 15th October 2023.
Shortlisted applicants will be asked to undertake psychometric tests as part of the selection process. Successful applicants will then be invited to interview and give a presentation on 2nd or 3rd November 2023
This post is covered by the Fluency Duty, as outlined in the Code of Practice on the English language requirements for public sector workers.
Solihull Council is proud to be an Equal Opportunities Employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees - a place where we can all be ourselves and succeed on merit.
Solihull Council has a responsibility for, and is committed to, safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and adults at risk, and requires all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.